November 01, 2004

My first weekend in Burlington...

SATURDAY
Moving my stuff into the apartment was a breeze with the help of Tom, Mike and Brandy (Bob and Charlotte's daughter.) The unpacking took me all afternoon. I'd like to say,"Who knew I had so much stuff?" but let's not be dumb. For those of you who have lived with or visited my apartment in Glendale, you KNOW I have lots of stuff. Even with the elimination of a bunch to the Salvation Army and the rest in storage, I had enough stuff to fill out the Burlington apartment. The apartment is fully furnished, so anymore additions would just crowd the place. I guess I will keep my stuff in storage until I move back to So. Cal or decide to sell it off. Anyhow, after many hours of unpacking, I took a break and watched "The Man with Two Brains," starring Steve Martin. It was pretty funny. I can't remember ever seeing the movie before (I have it on DVD, if any of the friends want to borrow it...)

The realization that I have driven over 3,000 miles across the country to a city and state I have never been in, and to a new job slapped me like an elephant running over a bed of dasies. I think between moving, driving and just being in a new place just broke me down. I talked to my folks Saturday night and cried. I know I can talk to them any time, as well as my friends. And I know that i will make friends. I have never lived so far away from the familiar. Change can be hard. I have given myself these pep talks a couple of times. Starting work and keeping busy helps.

SUNDAY
After sleeping in until 8am, I got up and continued the unpacking. I unpacked a box of framed photos and knick-knacks. At first I couldn't remember why I would have packed this into the car over DVDs and books. Then I looked at what I had. I had pictures of friends and family. I had knick-knacks that reminded me of certain moments (Wallace figure from one of my favorite movies; moai statue - going to Easter Island with my brother and sister) or people (framed drawing of Super Chicken, drawn by Brendon Cassidy - Disney friend.) I found it comforting. They are arranged on the various shelves and tables throughout the apartment. Later Sunday morning, I reported to Bob an electrical problem that he came up to work on. He also brought with him a microwave and tv for me to use. A microwave! Oh, what joyous rapture! I can now have popcorn; heat up water for tea, etc... And as far as the TV goes... words cannot express the joy I feel for it. Go ahead and call me a TV addict. I am so excited to get the basic stations - CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, WB and TWO PBS channels, that I could jump for joy! (I am jumping as I write this. See Mrs. Han Solo. See Mrs. Han Solo jump for Joy!) It's a nice companion to have even though I am not able to get into football and professional bull riding competitions. Perhaps one of these days, I will be more tolerant of those sports. (Especially with the long winter ahead...)
Also Sunday, Charlotte went with me about town. She showed me the grocery store (Yippee!!) which is located near a discount movie place (MOVIES!!) AND a doller store. It is sad that there aren't any 99-cent stores here. Those are so awesome. I think they should be everywhere. I am looking for a Big Lots too. I digress. Charlotte was extremely helpful in pointing out some of the major things about town - post office, library, hospital, malls... Of course I can't remember where half of the stuff is, but it was great to have my own personal tour guide. I am looking forward to checking out the mall after work one of these days. It might be a place for me to go to to get out of my apartment when the weather is bad and I am feeling cabin fever. In the evening, I watched some TV (Desparate Housewives) and went to bed somewhere around 11pm.

I will post today's events later. Lunch is over. Time to get some education about my new job.

No comments: