November 11, 2004

Veteran's Day... no bank; and white people who clean

I had a sleepless night just thinking about going to the bank today. Well, the bank was closed in honor of Veteran's Day. Tom, who is a veteran, should have had the day off, but is a dedicated employee and came into work. I, not remembering the holiday, went to Key Bank to sign up. But lo and behold, it was CLOSED. The gal at the parking gate didn't charge me for the time it took for me to check the bank door. Bless her heart. I then drove around downtown Burlington. Church street seems to be the place to go, so I will have to check that out on the weekend.

I heard on NPR-VT about "Grease" which is playing through the weekend. That sounds like something I might do on Friday night if I get the bank thing to happen. I do have plans on seeing the Incredibles on Saturday. I freakin' love Pixar. They are one of the best production houses on Planet Earth. That's because they believe in storytelling. That is key to their success. I could go on and on about Pixar. If you want to see just how great they are, check out their site: www.pixar.com.

Now, on to the second part of my subject line... Here in Burlington, the ratio of whites to non-whites is large. In my 'hood, I have found a nice mixture of colors. I have seen European types like myself, Sudanese (there is a Sudanese woman who lives across the street with about three kids) and I have seen Hispanic. But in the cleaning services I have seen (including this office building) I have only seen white people. Just an observation. Not a pro or con. It just is what it is. In the Los Angeles area, I have seen mostly non-whites in cleaning service jobs. It just struck me as different. How about that?

A good friend of mine sent me a certificate for LLBean. I will be buying lined pants and long johns online. I am really excited about that. They will come in handy with this crazy, cold weather.

Today I spoke with my clients about their sites. It was a good day of work. I also attended a training session. Also a good thing. There are lots of details to this job that it makes my brain hurt. I am that way with every new job, so I will survive.

:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is weird, isn't it? The cleaning people are white, speak english, and even say hello.

Even my movers were white. 'Magine that!