November 16, 2004

Sears, Reality Shows and an air mattress

I went to Sears after work to explore the mattress situation. The one I wanted wasn't on the floor. It was in a closet. The sales guy told me that it was for kids, not adults. (Bullcrap.) The next price up was on display. I tried it out. Omigawd. It was like floating on a cloud. But it was a $400 cloud. I went home to check on the current mattress and box spring. Both are really worn out. I was thinking the situation through, and then thought I would try the air mattress on top of the other two. I pumped it up and put my open sleeping bag on top of that. More on that later. I feel compelled to go in sequence....

After the bed set up, I had dinner from my leftover chicken/pasta. I sauteed onions and mushrooms and boyohboy, it was guuuuuud. I settled myself down for a night of lame television. Let me preface the tv experience by saying that I now have a change planned after spending hours of watching really pathetic shows. I caught the last bit of Seinfeld and watched a bit on a PBS show about Arlington (interesting and informative.) But I WASTED a good portion of my evening watching "Trading Spouses", on the Fox channel. This is almost exactly like the ABC show "Wife Swapping" or something like that. Women trade positions for a week and get to assign $50,000 to the family they stay with. At least with the ABC show, they spend two weeks and the first week, the woman has to abide by the house rules, wherein the second week, she makes the rules. Anyhow, it was about a Jewish family and a Christian family. Both were horrible. The Jewish family was bitter and non-responsive to the Christian mom, and the Christian family forced their beliefs onto the Jewish mom. The Christian family were made up of rather conservative Bush-Cheney supporters, whereas the Jewish family was made up of unbending, liberal Democrats. Watching that show, I wouldn't want to be of either religion or political party. Ick. The Christian woman was a little too hyper-positive, where the Jewish woman (always dressed in black) was down on everything the family did together. What a waste of my brain power. I am sure I lost brain cells by watching the show. After that horrible experience I continued watching tv and found an interesting show about the Maidenform bra - how it was created and by whom. That was a really interesting show to watch. We woman should be gratetful to Ida Rosenthal for breaking us out of the constricting "look like your brother" fashion of the Flappers and into appreciating the female form. All that PBS programming aside, I have decided to spend my hours reading more and watching tv less. I got "The Hobbit" from my brother for Christmas last year and have really be enjoying reading it. So now when I get home after work, I will break open one of the several books I have to read.

Now... the air mattress results. I had a MUCH better night sleep with the extra padding below me than I have in the last few days. It was great!! I still need a more permanent solution, but this should work for now....

No comments: