November 22, 2004

Crafts, movies and oil changes

What a weekend!

It started Friday night when I went outside of Burlington to see a movie. Team America. It's certainly not a movie for the family. It's crass, disgusting, obscene and freakin' hilarious (in parts.) It's made by the people who created South Park. I knew it would leave theaters soon, so I went to a theater just south of Burlington to see it. It was at a Megaplex called the Majestic. It is located in an open mall. I have to say that their popcorn isn't as good as the stuff I get at the Roxy, but it'll do.

Saturday I weighed in at Weightwatchers and gained 3 lbs. Well, if ya don't follow the program, and you pack in popcord and cheese-garlic breadsticks, plus M&Ms and Junior Mints, you are bound to gain weight. I am annoyed with myself, but it's not like anybody forced me to eat that crap. So I drowned my depression in food over the weekend, and made a promise to myself to get back on track this week. So far, so good. But it IS only Monday, and Thanksgiving is in a few days. After the weigh-in, I picked up my landlady, Charlotte and we went to a couple of craft fairs. It was really fun. Her grandkids were at one of them. I bought some Christmas presents and we drove over to the second one. Not much there, but it was fun to look around. People make the same kind of crap whether they are in California or Vermont. There are some subtle differences, though. At the ones we went to Saturday, there were more Vermont-esque things - more winter wear/accessories and maple syrup products. I met a man who I had seen on TV who makes pens out of used wood from great old trees and buildings that have been cut down. That was cool. Well, after the craft thingys, Charlotte kindly took me to Costco (love it!) in Winooski and then we went to Big Lots in Essex Junction (don't I sound like a native?) The Big Lots amazed me. It had furniture, including mattresses!! I am closer to getting a mattress. It's now a matter of budget. I WILL get one. I will. After that exciting time, we went to get my car oil changed. Everything turned out well. I am so glad, since I traveled 4.700 miles before landing there. After the shopping spree, I went home and watched movies and tv.

Sunday I went to a church in Burlington. It was pretty big. I thought the service was great. It is a place I would go back to. Hopefully I can start meeting people there. I don't have money for a class yet, so church is a free way to meet and make friends. After church, I went to the Roxy to see Bridget Jones sequel. I remember liking the first one, and I enjoyed the second one. Normally, I would break it apart and talk about the merits of the film, but Colin Firth and Hugh Grant were just dandy. Sigh. Nothing else to say about it. It is a chick flick. Then, (as if that wasn't exciting enough) I went to the library to check out a few more movies. I will let you know how those go. Sunday night was filled with Prime Time tv.

I had a dream last night that I was in Mexico swimming in a triathlon and building a house for a poor family. Then, as I finished both (didn't even swim in the dream, but you know how dreams are) I saw a missle launch from the far south end of the coast (as we also built the house near the beach) We were in the Middle East (of course. Mexico is part of the Middle East. Didn't you know that?) and I watched with a crowd of people as the missle left our view. Moments later, a large plane on fire came crashing through the sky and blew up several miles away from our location. I ran to find somebody who could help me get out of Mexico and nobody spoke English. Nobody seemed to be able to help me. I had no identification on me. I could only name food in Spanish and say,"Como se di se?" I found a woman who spoke English and was willing to help me get out of the country, though she was risking her life doing it.

That's about all I remember. I don't know if I ever got out of Mexico.

No comments: