October 30, 2004

Niagra Falls into BURLINGTON!!





Yesterday I woke up later than I had planned. I left Buffalo at around 10am and headed up to Niagra Falls. It was a fairly quick ride up. I would like to take a moment to talk about toll roads. There are so many blankety, blank, blank, blank toll roads between Illinois and Vermont that it is really annoying. I just hope that they use the money for roads or to pay workers who work hard maintaining the stupid toll booths. I have paid out many a $ to these tolls. Anyhow, I drove through a toll booth to get to Niagra Falls. The drive was quite lovely. The river was on my left as I headed North towards the Falls. When I got to the park, I paid $10 in parking and walked over to the information center. There, I took a staircase down to a park. The park's road winded around to the Falls. What a site I beheld! Niagra Falls is beautiful! It wasn't guady and touristy like I thought it would. The park was well maintained and though there were a few gift shops, they weren't like the amusement park image I had in my mind. I took a ramp up to an observation deck, where again, I was wowed by the Falls. It really was a spectacular site to behold. I got a few pictures (which I will post later) and even got another tourist to take one of me. I think that might become my Christmas card this year. Anyhow, I could clearly see the Canadian side. Though I wanted to cross over to Canada, I knew I would be able to do that once I got to Vermont. I still had a long drive ahead of me. So, after about an hour and a half, I left Niagra Falls.

The drive from Niagra Falls to Burlington was pretty mild. The weather was great. Clear skies most of the way. Some clouds here and there, but the temperature was mild. I drove across the whole state. I think I took Interstate 90. When I reached Albany, it was about 5pm. I thought I would get to Burlington by 8pm. I took the Interstate 87 north towards Canada. When I got to the Adirondak Mountains, I called my folks laughing at the mountains. "These are mountains? Ha!" I spoke too callously and shouldn't have scoffed. The mountains were impressive. The colors of the leaves were brilliant. There were vast forrests. There were lots of camping sites. Lake Placid (home of the Olympic training camp) resides there. There were lots of lakes. I even saw deer. As I drove I noticed that my gas guage was down to 1/4 of a tank. I had no idea how long it would take for me to reach the ferry in Essex. I was concerned about the time as well. The last ferry in Essex left at 7:30pm. I had no reception on my phone, so I couldn't call anybody to help me. I found the Essex exit and a gas station. I thought I would have plenty of time to get to the ferry, but it was pitch black except for the brilliant full moon. I drove and drove. I think I was in the little town of Essex, I really can't be sure. I saw a sign early on that said ferry. But I kept driving without any idea if I am going the right way. I eventually found the ferry at 7:15. Whew! Just in time.

The ferry ride to Vermont was about 20 minutes. When I got over to land, I called Tom and he directed me to his house. We talked for a bit and had a late dinner at Outback Steakhouse with Brock, our cute college boy waiter who just turned 30. (He was very chatty with us. I went to bed soon after we came back.

This morning, we went to breakfast at Denny's where I met who might possibly be my future husband. He's a chef/cook there. I will have to go back to find out more about him. Burlington is a lovely area. It is a cloudy and windy day. We checked out the office, which is so chic! Then I went with Tom to my new apartment.

The apartment is on Rose Street near downtown Burlington. There is a little market on the corner, and a laundromat about a block away. The apartment is smaller than the one I had in Glendale, but that just means I will have less crap to keep there. Bob and Chalotte live downstairs and are my landlords. I have my own entry and there is new carpet and paint on the walls. There is ample cupboard space and it has a bed and couch! They are loaning me their camping TV and will buy a microwave for me to use. They seem like great folks. Charlotte takes care of her grandchildren during the weekday and Bob is a trucker. I am moving in to the place this afternoon. By evening, I will be in my apartment!! Yippee!

It has been a great two weeks. I have so much to explore and to do - unpack, set up, get my mail figured out etc. Tom and I must get a move on my move.

Stay tuned for pictures and more on my adventures...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaye,
I'm glad you are enjoying the area. The weather will be getting very cold, very quick but it is so beautiful up there and the people are way cool. Look at it this way, even if its bitter cold this winter, after years in Glendale your lungs could use a good cleaning.
Your energy is missed at work. Good luck.
Take care,
Bill from McElroy