November 15, 2004

Clear skies all weekend!! And the porch!!

Friday night after work, I decided to not go see Grease, but see a movie instead. I have lots of movie cathing up to do. I went to see Shall We Dance? starring Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez and Susan Sarandon. I had seen the Japanese version a few years ago, which I thought was really good. I was hesitant about seeing the American version, since so many times the American version butchers the original foreign film. I waited until it came to the cheap theaters before seeing it. Well, it wasn't too bad. I am not a huge Gere or Lopez fan, but I thought they were good for their roles. I enjoyed it. I am always a sucker for dance movies. It isn't a musical, keep that in mind (for all of you anti-musical people.) If you like foreign films, see the Japanese version instead.

After the movie, I went to Hannaford's for my weekly grocery shopping. I am now loaded up for the next two weeks. That will also be good, in case my bank (the new one) doesn't give me my checks so that I can spend the money they now are in posession of. Growl.

Saturday morning, I went to my Weight Watcher's meeting. The week before, I thought I had gained 6 lbs, but that was a typo by the person weighing me in. I know some of you can tell if you gain an ounce, but when you have as much poundage as I do, I don't really notice it coming or going until it's about 10 lbs. Anyhow, the mistake was that I only gained 1.6 while on my trip. I lost 1.2 this past week, which made me jump for joy! There is something to be said about eating tuna and brown rice all week. I think I shall do that this week too (except for some modifications as I just went shopping...) After the weigh in, I went to do laundry. That was a lovely experience.

The laundromat is a block away from my apartment. It is small, but clean with paintings of sea life along the walls. The washers I used needed a knife inserted into a slot to push the button that actually starts the washing process. Thanks to my mom, I had a roll of quarters ready for usin'. I did two loads and was done with the whole thing in about an hour. Then I was off to explore Burlington. I went to one of the libraries in the area and got a library card. No, it's not for reading. It's for video and DVD rentals. Reading? Are you serious? It takes me months to read a book. I am currently reading two - the Hobbit and poetry by Kahil Gibran. I have about four other books lined up for my next choice, so the library is only for movies. I rented three - This is Spinal Tap, Bob Roberts and Idiot's Delight (which I have not seen yet.) For those of you who love the behind-the-scenes documentaries, you MUST see Spinal Tap, if you haven't. It's a look into a British hair band. It is really insightful. Deep. Touching. And the druids... wow. For those of you who like politics, see Bob Roberts. It is a very timely movie. Anyhow, the library doesn't have a wide selection of movies to choose from. I won't sign up for Netflix as an alternative until I know if I am staying here or not. On with the journal...

After the brief library experience, I drove home in the snow. Okay, it was just tiny balls that would melt quickly, but it was still snow. I got home and took a nap, since I had a headache. I woke up in time to go to Kmart. Kmart is really close to one of the movie theaters, where I was to meet Tom at to see The Incredibles. There was so much for me to see at Kmart that I was beside myself. I have no money to spend on extras (except gas, food and movies) so I just price shopped. I am looking into getting a vaccuum or a carpet sweeper. There is about a $10 difference. I also saw a bedside lamp that I would like to get. That is about $30. I am looking into alternatives. I don't NEED a lamp, but I would LIKE one. Anyhow, I spent about 30-45 minutes looking and ended up buying hangers and cat litter (for if I get stuck in the snow...) I saw The Incredibles, which is another fab Pixar flick. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate the fact that story is so important to them. It makes a world of difference. Sigh. Refreshing. Then Tom and I went to a place that is like the Sizzler. Cheap buffet. It was pretty good. Except for the ice cream and corn fritters, I think I did pretty well within my eating plan. When I got home, I watched the news for the weather reports.

Sunday morning I woke up a little earlier than I had planned. I wanted to watch the news to find out if it was going to snow. As I was going to be driving out to Moorebury, I didn't want to rish a snowy death. Well, the reporters didn't say a word about snow or rain. I watched a good show about the Crusades and how misguided the Crusaders were. For the first time, I heard the Crusades described as a Christian jihad. Many Muslims look at the Crusades as that, and therefore feel that they have much to revenge about. I understand that. People do all kinds of horrible things in the name of religion. These days, we don't emphasise the rapes and piledge as a plus to warfare, but we know it happens. Sure, not to the degree that it might have centuries ago, but it happens. I would go on with that subject, but my lunch break is only an hour. ha ha ha ha.

I drove to my dad's friend Steve's church south of Burlington. The sky was perfectly clear of clouds. While I drove, I looked around at the frost-bitten fields, so grey, tan and brown. So many trees have lost their leaves, it looks so bland and barren, but strangely beautiful. I am really looking forward to seeing what this area looks like with snow. It took me about 40 minutes to get to the church. There were so many friendly people there and the service was good. I hung out after church for a few hours talking with Steve. I had never met him, but he and my dad are good friends. We have heard about each other for years. It was nice to finally meet him and his family. When I got home, I settled in for another nap because I had another headache. I think my body is having a hard time adjusting to all of the new foliage. I haven't had a day where I haven't been plugged up. The headaches were very sinusy. After a restless nap, I got up and made a great dinner. I baked chicken (skinless/boneless) with wheat pasta and a salad. It was really good, if I do say so myself. I ended up watching a bunch of tv. My Sunday usual (Desparate Housewives) wasn't on because of the American Music Awards. I ended up watching Henry VIII, on PBS. Thankfully, I get two PBS stations. I really like that. I have also been watching Regency House Party, unlike American reality romance shows, the people have to dress in period garb and act like the people of the time. It is a hoot seeing people try to not bring in their 21st century ideals into the 19th century.

And finally, the porch... My lanlord, Bob and his son built out a porch and stairs over the small, cement steps that led up to our homes. They did it all on Saturday. It is awesome! I have room to stand and open the door without fear of losing my balance and slipping on the snow or ice (whenever it may come.) It is really great. Charlotte said they were going to build a rail around it as well. That will be just dandy too.

But the bed. The bed I sleep upon is horrid. I am glad that I have a bed, but it is so soft and broken down that when I sit up with my feet on the floor, my knees are not parallel with my bum, they are sloping upwards. Sears is having a sale on a full size bed. I might just have to get it. It would be a vast improvement. I might have to check it out tonight after work.




No comments: