February 14, 2006

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO YOU!!!

Does it matter whether or not you have "that special someone" on Valentine's Day? I don't think so. I have had friends who have clung onto boyfriends just so they have somebody to be with on this day. I think that's sad. More sad than the one who doesn't have a Valentine's Day sweetheart. I also think it's a highly overrated day. Maybe that's just me being a little bitter that I don't have a Valentine today. But I remember as a kid, the pressure to have a card for every kid in the class so nobody would feel left out. It was important to me to make sure everybody had a card. Even the kids who were smelly and dirty. Even the classroom bully. (That one was hard to cough up.) As an adult, I still have that slightly co-dependent-people-pleasing compassionate side.

We had a Secret Valentine's Day gift exchange today. I got a really delicious box of Select Origin Lake Champlain chocolates. (All varieties of dark chocolate.) I have no idea who it was from. I gave my person a big, ugly handmade card out of posterboard with a nice, tacky bear-in-tutu snowglobe and Hershey kisses. Of course, everybody in the office figured out that was from me. So much for being subtle.

Here's a good link from Stephanie A. on Valentine's Day. Check it out!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I was just reading about Lake Champlain chocolates in Steve Almond's CandyFreak. How were they?