January 16, 2006

Writing and the OBB

Writing
After reading about the controversial Oprah Book Club favorite, Millions of Pieces by James Frey, I am inspired. I am equally angered and amused that he duped Oprahand countless others in his "autobiographical" accounts of his drug, drinking life. Good for him to write somethingthat set up a firestorm of controversy, which undoubtedly has sold more books. There are other authors who, recently,I have been thinking "Why didn't I write that?" Answer: because you didn't, so get over it. So in order to do that, I need to not just say I am a writer, but write. So, I asked my friend Alex for some suggestions on good writing excercises books. The results are two great books -



The Portable Creative Writing Workshop by Pat Boran
and
A Creative Writer's Kit by Judy Reeves


Starting in the middle of last week, I began my committment to me. Everything I have read about writing says what isonly logical - in order to be a writer, you need to write. I am starting with doing the excercises every day. So I went to Muddy Waters (a great coffee place) in the morning before work. I read the books and began the excercises.It was such a purifying experience. I feel like I am FINALLY getting back on track with my writing. I also chatted withmy friend CG who is also a writer. She and I have talked about collaborating. We do have distance between us location-wise, but I don't want to let that stop me. I just have to find the right hook. with the hype Millions of Pieces fresh in my mind, I feel that I will find that hook soon.

With a newyear, that means new opportunity to be a better person, writer, employee, friend. Healthier and happier. So I gained 25 lbs last year. What comes on, will come off. I also recommitted to Weight Watchers. I almost didn't go, with theEvil Kdar in my head telling me how I shouldn't even bother. But I went. And yes, I gained, but I went. When I wentgrocery shopping, I thought more about what kinds of foods to get. I bought a slow-cooker cookbook which had some goodideas. I am doing one of them today. The beauty of the slow cooker is that dinner will be done when I get home. ha!

Speaking of groceries, I worked about 20 hours between Thursday and Sunday. With the winter break over for the highschoolers the store has been pretty quiet. There are a couple of kids who work late at night with me, and we seem to have a pretty good time. Last night, I was working with Chad, Amanda, Thomas, Maggie and Michelle for most of the evening.Michelle seems to be about my age. I think Maggie is about 20. The other three are part of the Orange Badge Brigade (under18.) Working with these kids isn't that much different than working with the kids from COV. I would have to say thatthe COV kids come from more broken homes, are surrounded more by drugs, gangs and other bad influences. But kids are kids.There are those who like school, hate school. Those who are just trying to make enough $ to get a car. Those who don't have an allowance and need extra $ period. Those who help out their families by working. Those who can do nothing but talk about the latest news with Brittany Spears. Those who want to change the world, make a difference. I knowthere is some writing material here and I WILL FIND IT!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I think I'm the only person who is not enraged by James Frey. I just think memoir isn't journalism. Every memoirist fabricates. It's an inherently dishonest genre. And I'm a memoirist!

Glad to hear you are writing. :)