January 03, 2006

If the Customer is ALWAYS right - So is my ASS!

Friday night at the G-store I was bagging with Britta (yes. Her name is Britta.) A woman in her 60s with big hair and big chunk rings (you know what I am talking about) comes up with about $80 worth of groceries. She flashes a coupon which she actually hands over later. The coupon is one that the store sends out in the mail for $8 if you have $80 or more in groceries. There is a redemption period clear and bold near the top 1/3 of the coupon. CLEARLY INDICATING when it is good. The woman passes over her coupon to Britta and says,"I see that the date isn't until tomorrow, but I'd like to redeem it anyhow." Britta kindly tells her that it isn't good yet. I look at it and grunt in agreement. The woman's nostrils start to flare. "If I had known that I couldn't use it today, I wouldn't have bought all of this stuff." (Hey lady, it's not my problem you are a total dumbass.) Britta shrugged, not knowing what to do with her. I told the woman I would check with my manager. I went to the manager, who said we couldn't honor it. I explained that to the woman. She huffed and puffed. Said something about "Well, you can be sure I won't be shopping here EVER again. And I will tell my friends to not shop here either." At this store, they keep talking up the customer service aspects, so I went along with her crazy rant. I told her I could get the supervisor and she thought that was a great idea and chirped,"You know, the customer is always right." I was ready to deck her. The super said the same thing as before (which I would too. Afterall, the DAMN coupon clearly indicates the date of redemption. Argh!) The woman howled again. So the super talked with the PM who agreed to use it.

Though the woman didn't seem that appreciative of the efforts, I offered her a comment card. She thanked me and said that she wasn't mad at Britta or me. If I had been in line behind her, I would have gotten into a fight about it. But being an employee, I couldn't.

It was freakin' funny.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I don't know who first said, "The customer is always right," but I've waited on some pretty wrong customers.

Anonymous said...

The customer is always first, but not necessarily right. Hell, even if they're wrong and they're curteous about it, I'll honor whatever they want. I've had customers who were so sincerely sorry for questioning me when they were clearly wrong that I gave them an illegal discount out of gratitude for their humility.

I wish I could have been the PM for that bitch... I wouldn't have given in and I would have asked if she'd like to try her coupon antics at P.C. (competitor), but alas, I wasn't there.

I'll be there tomorrow tho ;)
Luv ya, Mrs. Han Solo