January 11, 2006

Gstore observations

Tonight things were pretty quiet. After 9:30, there were only 3-4 people up front. There was a span of about an hour, or maybe it was 45 minutes that flew by so freakin' fast. There were minutes that passed by slower than an ant crawling up the Empire State building. All in all, an uneventful night.

However, there were a few things to note...

  • Special Weekly Value - this is something at the cash registers that we have to promote. If we don't ask about it by the end of the transaction, customers can get it for free. This week's item is some really gross fruit snack with cartoon characters evily enticing parents and people having flashbacks to their youth. So, I promote it as follows,"Would you like to get our Special Weekly Value? It's fruit snack with [cartoon character] on it. It's FAT FREE! Only 14 grams of sugar!" I say it with overenthusiastic tones in my voice. Amazingly enough, some people are perfectly suckered in to buying it. Others, not so much, though they appreciate my presentation. It's all about presenation.
  • "I'm REALLY over 21. Really." - As I was never one of the kids who tried fake ids or tried getting people to believe I was over 21, I guess I don't get the wonder and appeal. I also don't understand why 'kids' get so pissed off when asked for their ID. It's the damn law. I didn't make the law. I don't want to get cited or penalized because I didn't ask you-who-is-21-but-looks-like-Dakota-Fanning for your damn-I'm-in-college-I-can't-waste-my-time-with-a-Vermont-ID license/id card. Piss off. There were 6 twits who were found shopping in the beer section by one of the supers. When they got in my line, 4 of them strode off. The two remaining were not only carded (and just barely 21) but we asked for their friends' ids as well. (It's the law.) They seemed perplexed. Their doufus friends wouldn't even step inside the store. The super had to stand in the exit area and have the kids pass their ids to her through the door. So lame. I expect these will be our great leaders one day. I know kids will be kids and I know I wasn't all that wise to the ways of the world when I was 21. But (as I continue to sound like an old hag, please read the following in a really old person voice...) KIDS TODAY JUST DON'T SHOW ANY RESPECT. ( I just HAD to say that. ha ha ha)
  • Dream Man - So I had the great fortune to check out a very dreamy man. We laughed. We admired similar food items. And... yes. Married he was. Sad I was.
  • Brain Functions Ending - My short term memory is getting worse. I am not paying attention to my customers. Example, a young woman I apparently checked out earlier in the evening (I am only on a 4 hr shift) came through the line again. She made some comment about being in my line again. Her friend was buying some wine and I asked for both of their ids. Both being out of state, I had to call the super. The familiar woman was surprised. "You really need to see it again? But I was just here! Don't you remember that?" As if I was an idiot. I did remember her, but couldn't for the life of me really recall seeing her earlier in the evening. That is super pathetic. It wasn't incredibly busy. I am beginning to recognize the regulars, but am not at the point where I can tell exactly what they are about to buy or like or their age.

That's about all the excitement I can stand for now. I am off tomorrow from the Gstore but back for four more days of excitement on Thursday.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like the fact that you have to ask for the friends' ids as well. That seems only fair.

Anonymous said...

On the subject of IDs...

Some guy came in last night with an expired ID and said that it was absolutely ridiculous that the cashier would deny him alcohol based on the expiration alone. He said, "I'm OBVIOUSLY over 21," and I would have guessed him to be 23. Turned out, he was 24. Sigh. I said that if he were over 30 and had more proof that I may have considered it but it was the damn law and I wasn't about to put my job in jeopardy so that he could buy Guinness. He said, "Man, you just lost a lot of business." I gazed at his whole order (worth MAYBE 20 bucks including the 6 pack) and told him he had to leave the property. He said he was off to the competition across the street, so I called them to warn them about the expired ID. He didn't get his beer from either of us last night.

I was just glad I could piss someone off, do it legally, and even better - be well within the protocol of my position.

Oh, and next time, I won't monopolize your blog space. Hehe...