January 04, 2006

Christmas, Part 1

Back in October, I was thinking about what to do for Christmas. I talked it over with my brother and came up with the idea to surprise my parents. During Thanksgiving week, I bought my ticket (US AIR - cheap airfare, cheap service) and the parents had NO idea I was coming.
Over the next few weeks they would ask me about my holiday plans. I would either avoid the question altogether or lie. It was great. I called a couple of friends to let them know I was coming into town. Doug kindly offered me his home AND car, as he was going to be out of town the day after my arrival. It was so wonderful of him to do that. It saved me $ and I had independence.

Wednesday, December 21

In the wee hours of the morning, Elissa kindly drove me to the airport. The flight was uneventful, which was fine with me. I arrived on time in Los Angeles around 1pm. Though I had just been in CA in May, it was so good to see Doug again. Almost as if I never left. Doug picked me up at LAX and we headed back into the Valley. We went to The Good Neighbor restaurant, of which Doug is a regular. Such a regular that they not only know his name like the peoplefrom Cheers, but they even have a food item that he "created". Almost as good as actually having your name on a menu. Afterlunch, we headed off to the movies to see Just Friends http://imdb.com/title/tt0433400/, starring Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart and Ana Faris. It was much better than I thought it would be. Ana Faris played a idiot of a rock star, patterned afterAshlee Simpson, I think. she was hilarious. Totally stole the show. Anyhoo, after the movie, we went back to Doug's. We were joined by Julie, Steve L./Natasha, Steve K., Alex S./Sherri and Steve S. (There are actually 4 Steves, but only 3 appearat the same time.) We went to dinner in Hollywood and were later joined by Alex H./Tiffany (the ones who have the blog... theyare back from living in England.) It was so good to catch up with people. Even just seeing them was very refreshing. Though I have a couple of friends in Vermont, my CA friends have a piece of my heart. (sniff, sniff - my how dramatic!) After dinner, some of us went to see another movie. It was good to be back!

Thursday - Friday

Doug and I did the GN again. One can never go there too often! While Doug packed, I ventured on a little stroll to the99cent store. (A chain they should have in Vermont, but don't.) I was suppose to meet up with Alex, Tiffany and her brother for some shopping but due to circumstances, I couldn't. I ended up dropping Doug off at Burbank Airport and headed towards themall. I went to Ikea and the Barnes and Noble. I miss Ikea. I have a couple of things I will order online from them in a few paychecks.I then met up with Michael (and Al and Pat) and VeAnn Lynch for dinner. They were among the people I missed the most. As with Doug, it was almost like I never left. Sooo great to see them! We ate at Lido's, which is an Italian restaurant that makes really good homemade pasta. YUM. We had such a great time together. VeAnn is due in a few months. She asked me to be in the delivery room to help Michael out. I am so honored. I need to get an open ended ticket and see what work will do/say.

In the morning, I did some shopping with Alex in lovely Pasadena. We went to a great bookstore and travel store as well as some interesting jewelry shops. I found some good presents for family and Gail. Hanging out with him was just like old times (I know I keep saying this about my friends, but it is true.) I am sorry I wasn't able to visit with them when they were living in England, but I was glad to hang out with them for a bit while in CA. Later in the afternoon I met the Lynch family at their house and we headed over to COV for the Christmas Eve service. It was a somber service, but good. I saw many people I had missed. That was so neat. Then I went back to Michael and VeAnn's for their Christmas Eve celebrations.

All in all, my time in Los Angeles was terrific. The sun was shining the whole time. I saw people I really care about andmissed a whole bunch. And I saw places I missed as well. I was beaming when I drove Saturday towards Ventura.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were beaming because you were driving a "beamer."

(Damn, I'm funny.)