March 09, 2005

Look at me - I am blogging!

I am sitting in the lazy boy chair watching tv. I think it is so sweet! I am totally comfortable. I can type and not feel any back strain or leg strain. I can glance up at the tv when I need to.

I am watching a show on PBS about Broadway in the movies. They are showing clips from the late 20s and 30s. The Zeigfeld Follies had stars like Fanny Brice (not the Barbara Streisand one, the real one) and Sophie Tucker (referenced in the musical Chicago, also a real person.) The Gershwins, Lorenz Hart, Rogers and Hammerstein, so many talented men and women of the old Broadway scene. Lena Horne is singing Stormy Weather. She's so great. There is an all black musical called Cabin in the Sky, which coincidentally they JUST MENTIONED! Anyhow, it has some pretty great songs in it. I am sure there is lots of controversy about how some black people are portrayed, but there are some positive characters. Lena Horne is in the movie, that's why I mention it. Now they have moved onto the Fred and Ginger movies. I won't be giving a play by play account of the show, but it is right up my alley. One of the greatest American musical composers is Cole Porter. There was DeLovely, starring Kevin Kline, that came out last year about his life. By the way, did you know the song,"Happy Days are here again?" was actually about the end of Prohabition?

Now I can finally write the two quotes from Robert McNamara. Here it goes.

Quote 1 (in looking at the situation in Vietnam) "If we can’t persuade nations with comparable values the merits of our cause we’d better reexamine our reasoning."

Quote 2: "Never answer the question that has been asked of you. Answer the question you wish had been asked of you."

I have switched over to watching the soap opera I tape every night. Borning. Boring. Boring. They have a gal who is totally annoying (not a shocker.) A. she needs acting lessons B. She needs singing lessons c. Her character needs to be smacked down.

OMIGAWD! Excitment on my street just now! There was just a flurry of activity. Three fire trucks, two cop cars and an EMT truck. Some dude called 911 because his neighbor was having a smoking bbq in the backyard. Keep in mind that it is less than 10 degrees outside. Nice to know that the emergency people are so responsive. I like that.

To add to my night of excitement and thrills, I want you to know that I made dinner. Tilapia (I think that's what it is called) and some random bread product I had on hand. There is no meal like a bread filled meal. I also renewed my library DVDs online. I love that too. Very exciting, this technology of today. Just think, not so many years ago, people actually had to go walk into a library to renew materials. Strange days of long ago.

One more exciting thing before I sign off. I also fed Sparky.

No comments: