March 22, 2007

You can't take it with you...

A friend of mine recently had to go to Ireland to help her mom go through her recently departed aunt's house. Here's an excerpt of her letter.

"Mom and I went to Dublin to clean out my aunt's house-- f@#$%* unbelievable!! she never threw ANYTHING away, i found her braids from when she was 13, I found an unopened package mailed from Belfast to the family's house in the country in 1931!!! oh my god! hundreds of wet naps, hundreds of keys, old wigs, you name it. i took some pictures, but it just cannot capture the place, the slime, the dust, the depression. it was kind of like an intense and lengthy bhuddist retreat, in terms of deep insights gained about possessions, quality of life, etc. yikes!!..."

Though she hasn't said what was in the package, this is a good reminder that you can't take it with you. Other people have to clean up your crap. I wrote ages ago about another friend's aunt Gloria and a similar mess. I need to remind myself of these women and the amount of waste they left for others to deal with.

Time for MHS to get to some much needed spring cleaning!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh man, i so need to do some major spring cleaning. in a ridiculous and crazy way. thanks for reminding me. and i mean that sarcastically and sincerely all at the same time (i'm a complicated being)