August 08, 2005

Peter Jennings has passed away...

Peter Jennings was the long time anchor of World News Tonight and one of the cornerstones of the ABC news bureau. http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=126542

I remember years ago, I was working as a page at ABC and met Mr. Jennings. He was handsome, articulate and made even the little people (pages) feel special. It was a pleasure to have met him. When I was working on "Into the Night Starring Rick Dees" (defunct show, lame) the host, Rick Dees, was interviewing Sheena Easton. I don't remember how or why they were talking about Peter Jennings, but I remember very clearly Sheena's take on him. She said, that if he announced that the world was coming to an end, she would believe him and believe that everything would be alright.

He had a way, as few anchors today have, of calming people. He talked to us as if we were good friends sharing knowledge. With the overproduction of news, especially junky news, Peter Jennings was one of the few news voices I listened to. He will be missed.

No comments: