May 23, 2007

Client Aimless = Mini-Client Flintstone

By now I should just realize that when it is May at Company X, I will undoubtedly get a big ass client that will cause me to go insane. Client Aimless is that. Why? Allow me to list a couple of reasons.

1. They are a huge-ass client that is and will (if we do well with this) give us big business. That means they are paying $ and have the attitude that because they are paying bucko bucks they can get whatever they want.

2. The package (like Client Flintstone) was either sold with promises of things we would do for them that we really can't or aren't client ready or the client blew things out of proportion from what they 'thought' they were getting and now we are rushing to get things done in an unrealistic amount of time.

3. We have new tools that aren't fully functional that not only I am using but the client uses too. I haven't even worked with the tool before. I can't show the client how to use it because I don't know how to use it. Plus there are problems with it and I can't do certain things because either I don't have the right access or because that part of the tool isn't functional yet. I think it makes us look bad when things don't work right and they client and I are scratching our heads trying to figure out how to make it work.

4. I can't handle multi-tasking. Just because I have a touch of ADD and shift subjects doesn't mean I can handle multi-tasking.

5. I have other clients

In any event, here is a client I am working 12 hours a day with and am pulling out my hair to get things done. I can't delegate because nobody else has time either. Several of us have huge projects. I am probably blowing the whole thing out of proportion. This project isn't nearly as bad as Client Flintstone of 2006 was. There is a huge amount of work the client and I have to do to make it work. It will get done. And the client has been pretty reasonable so far. I told them at the beginning of the project that I would disappoint them. I would let them down. I would fail them. We had a good laugh and I think that got us off on a good foot.

No comments: