February 11, 2005

Snow is glorious, the weekend, and Death of a Brilliant Man

Snow, glorious, sparkling, bright, white... snow. I love it! I will find a snow activity to do. Maybe I will walk to the mall? Maybe I will make snowpeople? Who knows? The world is mine for the taking.

The weekend is here and Burlington is doing a Winterfest thingy. I will be checking it out. I am really looking forward to it. There are suppose to be ice sculptures, ice skating, live music, food and all kinds of merriment. Just the thing I need. I have been feeling rather depressed. It's about the job, apartment or Vermont. I just really miss my friends. Yeah, yeah. You'll make new friends. Go out and get into activities that force you to meet people. So I am making steps towards that. 1. I am going to join a bowling league. 2. I am joining a gym. You are probably saying to yourself, "Wait a minute - Mrs. Han Solo! You don't bowl! You don't excercise (except for that tri training." That's right. It's a whole new me. There are bowling lanes not too far away from my neighborhood that are offering joining a league for a weekly fee of about $10. AND they provide balls. I figure why not? I can be the best bowler Mrs. Han Solo can be. And as for the gym, I have been saying for months that I will join to I can start my tri training again. The big plan is that when I am feeling like I have nothing to do, I go to the gym. I think getting into the Bowling will also give me a sense of being and purpose. That all said, I am still depressed. I just hide it well. I miss my long time friends. I am really thankful that I have friends here who I can talk to and do stuff with. But it's not the same as hanging out with Doug and Steve or VeAnn and Michael. Or calling up Gail and going to Leonore's. I can't just talk with Babs or Annie about my infatuations while sipping a Starbucks. Not happening.

Sad news today. Famed playwright Arthur Miller died. I remember reading "The Crucible" when I was in high school. I was really moved by it. I have a vivid memory of walking out into the living room with the play in my hand and talking to my family about it. It is a fantastic story. Not just the historical point, but the political message Miller was sending out when he wrote it. I had no idea at the time of my high school reading of it. Recently, I saw a great PBS program on Eli Kazan and Arthur Miller's relationship. They had been friends for years then during the McCarthy trials, had a huge falling out (mostly because of Eli's reporting friends as commies) and it took decades to repair the friendship. Miller wrote "The Crucible" in response to the McCarthy hearings. I wasn't as affected when I read "Death of a Salesman," but I do think about Willy Loman from time to time. Miller certainly led a full and robust life. If I live to be 89, will I be able to look back on my life and say the same thing?

No comments: