December 17, 2004

White Christmas and Oh, what a partaaaayyy

Tuesday night I plopped down in my Lazyboy chair to watch White Christmas, starring Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby. I figured it would be appropriate seeing as Christmas is just around the corner. Little did I realize that the majority of the movie takes place in VERMONT. Who knew? I have to say that when I was in SoCal, movies and tv shows that took place in that area are a dime a dozen. Seeing a movie that takes place in my new homeland (albeit a sound stage in Hollywood circa 1954) was a real treat. I think more movies should be filmed out here. Sure the weather is unpredictable, but that just means directors need tighter shooting schedules.

Wednesday started out like any other day here in Burlington. Though I did dress up a bit and cut my own bangs (they were out of control before) for we were to have our company's Christmas/holiday/winter solstice party at Coyote Grill (or something like that.) In the middle of the afternoon, the Big Enchilada boss (BE for short) gathered us all together for a few announcements including stuff about the party. There were lots of people there. Our sales people, who live and work across the country, were there. It was nice to meet these people who I have had only phone, email and IM contact with. So, later that day, we went to the party. Carrie and I carpooled.

Let me speak a moment on parking in downtown Burlington. It's as bad as Santa Monica or Hollywood. Parking is metered all over the place and there are a few (and I mean few) multi-level parking lots. There are also those restrictions signs about parking on one side of the street or another. Needless to say, it was a pain in the butt trying to find parking. I dropped Carrie off and found a spot. It was bloody cold when I got walking to the restaurant. I think it was in the high 20s. Whew! I thought my nose was going to run. I think I have gotten use to the 30-40 degrees. Maybe we will have the 20s for a nice spell so I can acclimate to that. Back to our story....

The restaurant is a Southwestern/Mexican restaurant. They had a bar (cash only) and appetizers. I couldn't squeeze in for the appetizers because there were so many people. But since I was freezing my fingers off, I went for a hot beverage at the bar. Bailey's and coffee -- just the right amout of external and internal heating up and I was feeling fine. The Big Enchilada had asked that we mingle. (You know, dear readers, how these things usually go. You go to a work party and hang out with your friends. You don't talk to the person who has that office down the hall because you never interact with them on a daily basis, so why should you interact with them at the company party? Unless, of course, it is that guy/girl you have had your eye on. If they didn't bring a date, then you spend the entire evening with your suave game face on, vying for their attention. Forget your friends or that person down the hall (that you woudn't talk to anyway.) You need to score date. Then, you have been drinking so much that you let your self go a little too far. Then embarassing things happen. THEN, you have to face your co-workers in the morning.) Well, all that being said, I didn't stick with only the people I have befriended here, nor did I try to pick up on that guy I have been eyeing at work. Nor did I drink so much I did something embarassing. No. Being the social butterfly that I am, I moved around. Talked to quite a few people I usually have little interaction with. Here are a few highlights: Big Cheese Mike who has kids, brought the family to the party. I enjoyed playing with the kids and just watching them. Kids crack me up. Brian brought his wife and adorable daughter. An absolute darling. Greg, Mike D. and Chris, some of our sales people are hilarious people to talk with. Chris is from California and kindly brought me a Trader Joe's gift of No Pudge brownies. I miss Trader Joe's! Mike D. does voice over work and I think Greg must have a second life as a stand up comic. Freakin' hilarious. Wick and his wife and I plotted our next cookie event and how to make gifts without breaking the bank. Elissa loaned out her husband Rocky to do a Kamakazi shot with me. I bought PG a drink for the pain he has been through with that difficult client from CA. There were a few people who had a little too much to drink. I won't embarass them by recounting the particular moment, but it was pretty funny to watch. Though I did two more shots (courtesy of Jesse) after the one I did with Rocky, I have to say that I was still pretty lucid. I think that was the most alcohol I have had in about 6 years (I remember a particular event with a couple of college friends when one from England was visiting. Tequila shots all night long.) At the end of the evening, I took Jesse and Nate home, and Carrie back to her car. Poor Nate had fallen when I was out getting the car, and chipped off his front two teeth. But I think he was a little affected by the drinky to notice at the time. Nobody threw up in the car, for which I am grateful. And we all got home safely - at least Carrie, Jesse and I did. Not sure what happened to Nate. I did see him go up a driveway, but that was the last time I saw him. I think I got home at about 12:30, which says quite a bit about the party. Parties usually last only 3 hours. This one went on for waaayyy longer than that. There were still quite a few people at the place when we left. It was a good party. It was great getting to know people from the office in a non-office environment.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Wow.

And I thought you didn't drink. ;)