January 30, 2007

Oscars - the nominations

I KNOW I still have to finish the Holiday party story, but with the upcoming Oscars, I felt I needed to say something. I am having a party with another co-worker and have sent out 40 invites, figuring only about a third will show. Even that will be a good turnout.

The Oscar nominations came out a few weeks ago. The show is airing Sunday night, February 25. Here're the top few nominees. For a complete list, go to OSCARS.ORG


Performance by an actor in a leading role
Leonardo DiCaprio in “Blood Diamond” (MHS - this is one of the better acting jobs for Leo as of late. But big winner? I don't know. The jury is out.)
Ryan Gosling in “Half Nelson” (MHS - I don't think this movie even came to VT.)
Peter O’Toole in “Venus” (MHS - This movie hasn't come to VT yet. Sigh.)
Will Smith in “The Pursuit of Happyness” (MHS - I thought Will did a really good job.)
Forest Whitaker in “The Last King of Scotland” (MHS - I don't like FW and haven't seen the movie yet, but I betcha he will win.)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Alan Arkin in “Little Miss Sunshine” (MHS - great movie, good performance)
Jackie Earle Haley in “Little Children” (MHS - this movie came and went. I missed it.)
Djimon Hounsou in “Blood Diamond” (MHS - good job.)
Eddie Murphy in “Dreamgirls” (MHS - Not the Oscar winner in my book, though he won the Golden Globe, which makes him the front runner.)
Mark Wahlberg in “The Departed” (MHS - not a big role [I know, it IS SUPPORTING] but he was fine.)

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Penélope Cruz in “Volver” (MHS - she did a really good job. I think breaking up with Tom was the best thing for her career.)
Judi Dench in “Notes on a Scandal” (MHS - Judi - nice and creepy. Good job!)
Helen Mirren in “The Queen” (MHS - I thought Helen did a good job, but didn't feel it was as much of an acting stretch as Judi or even Meryl.)
Meryl Streep in “The Devil Wears Prada” (MHS - Love Meryl, but I hope this goes to Judi.)
Kate Winslet in “Little Children” (MHS - I love Kate too, but see note on Meryl. Plus I missed this movie when it came to VT.)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Adriana Barraza in “Babel” (MHS - Two words - JENNIFER HUDSON)
Cate Blanchett in “Notes on a Scandal” (MHS - Two words - JENNIFER HUDSON)
Abigail Breslin in “Little Miss Sunshine” (MHS - Two words - JENNIFER HUDSON, though I loved Abigail's performance and am glad she was nominated.)
Jennifer Hudson in “Dreamgirls” (MHS - Two words - Oscar winner)
Rinko Kikuchi in “Babel” (MHS - Two words - JENNIFER HUDSON)


Achievement in directing
“Babel” Alejandro González Iñárritu (MHS - Pretty good film. Between the ones I saw, I hope it wins in this category)
“The Departed” Martin Scorsese (MHS - One of Scorcese's better films of recent years.)
“Letters from Iwo Jima” Clint Eastwood (MHS - Pretty good. Like with Scorcese, I think it's one of Clint's better films as of late)
“The Queen” Stephen Frears (MHS - Good film. I liked how they combined the footage from the real event and didn't dwell on the Diana drama. )
“United 93” Paul Greengrass (MHS - Didn't see it. )


Best motion picture of the year
“Babel” (MHS - If the Golden Globes are any indication, this will win. I think it was a good film, but could have been more )
“The Departed” (MHS - Shouldn't win, though it was pretty good.)
“Letters from Iwo Jima” (MHS - Because it is directed by an American, it is in this category. I think it should be in the foreign film category since it is 99.1% entirely spoken in Japanese! Good film.)
“Little Miss Sunshine” (MHS - I think this should win, because it was such a refreshing new kind of breakout film. I know it won't win though.)
“The Queen” (MHS - I don't think this should be in this category. It was a good film, but not GREAT. )

The film that was most overlooked this year in the awards shows was Children of Men. Hopefully they will get SOMETHING at the Oscars, though it is in such few categories.

Stay tuned for the final chapters of the Holiday party, California and upcoming events. I have been so busy with the g-store and partying like the party animal I am that I haven't blogged much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...ya like Jennifer Hudson, eh?

Hm.

Unknown said...

i've been obsessively listening to the dreamgirls soundtrack pretty much since we saw that movie. i might need a 12 step program to break the habit.

Jonathan said...

Little Oscar trivia: Jackie Earle Hayley played Kelly Leak, the motorcycle riding kid from the Bad News Bears way back in the 70s. I have to pull for him for supporting actor.

By the way, got here by way of Pipa's blog.