January 08, 2007

Holiday party with Company X, Part 1 - the preparation

A few weeks before the party, an email went out announcing the exciting event. We were going to dine in downtown Burlington, at a restaurant called Adriana's. I had never been there. I wasn't sure about going, as I was feeling a little down about holidays and such. However, as the days passed, I decided it would be a good idea to go. I asked Stephanie about inviting her friends Dan and Scott as our "dates". She firmly stated at the beginning that they wouldn't be her "dates", but sure, invite them. So the invite went out.

In the meantime, an email (or two, or three) went out around Company X about doing some kind of Gong Show - talent show. I had made a suggestion before for our summer parties to do some kind of talent show and was flately rejected. It suprised me to hear that people actually thought it was a good idea. By this time I was over the idea of doing a talent show mostly because I didn't think it fit with a company holiday party and certainly didn't want to put myself through the humiliation of being "gonged". I had several people ask me if I was going to do it. When taking a little poll around the office, I couldn't find a soul who would do it. I asked the organizer of the talent show and she said there were only four acts. In speaking with Stephanie one night, I thought it would be funny to do something really absurd like throw a ball back and forth and say nothing or sing. Though she declined to do it, Heidi agreed. The plan was in motion.

The talent reheasals were done in secret with Heidi and myself. Only Stephanie knew what we had planned. We did have to tell the party coordinator that we were going to participate in the show, but asked her not to tell people we were doing it. Not even Tim, Heidi's beau knew what we were going to do. The plan was coming together quite well.

Back to the "date" invitation - I had been emailing Dan and Scott about attire. Stephanie and I were going to dress up (because it was a party, after all!) and asked if they would as well. Though it was doubtful Dan even owned a suit, they had agreed to step it up a little more than their normal after work attire to hang out with the ladies. I think the enticement of an open bar helped too. I figured if the company didn't do the open bar thing, at least Dan and Scott would have had a good meal and a free beer or two from me for being our "dates".

Continued...

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You've certainly left us hanging....