January 17, 2007

Golden Globes - my brief thoughts

Okay, I still haven't seen Borat and some of the other nominated films have yet to reach Burlington. However, I thought Sacha Baron Cohen's thank you speech was nicely grotesque and appropriate for his win. There were a few other speeches I have to make metion of.

Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) - it was refreshing to see this new gal bursting with appreciation and shock at her win. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I look forward to her performance.
Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada) - I love Meryl. She was pretty funny.
Bill Nighy (Gideon's Daughter) - He was pretty funny.
Martin Scorcese (The Departed) - He's one of those people who I would love to hear at a panel discussion. He is one of the most passionate film lovers I have ever heard. He believes in the magic of film. I thought he deserved his trophy for The Departed.
America Ferrera (Ugly Betty) - I think everybody in the house that night was crying with her speech. It was such a heartfelt speech.
Hugh Laurie (House) - Hugh is a wonderful British actor with a wicked sharp sense of humor. I am so happy for him.
Warren Beatty/Tom Hanks - Though I thought the tribute to Warren was entertaining, I also felt it had a personal touch on it, as Tom and Warren are really good friends. It was almost like watching people sitting around a dinner table complimenting each other. As for Warren, he had some very funny moments, but went on waaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooo looooooooonnnnnnngggg.

There were some fabulous dresses, but nothing that made me say "OMIGAWD". What was the deal with Vanessa Williams' lion mane hair style? Crazy, I tell you!

1 comment:

Emi said...

Thanks for your GG op/ed piece but....ummm, when are you gonna get to part two and perhaps three of the company party?

I sorta wanna know who ended up taking you home and taking advantage of you after a night of drunken debauchery.

That's all. I'm not asking for much, am I?