January 18, 2007

Holiday party with Company X, Part 2 - the party

Stephanie came over and we did a little primping for the party. Then we picked up our...my 'dates' Scott and Dan. I was happy to see that they were dressed up, though we had joked about wearing tshirts and shorts [NOTE: People in Vermont don't seem to dress up here for anythying. That thankfully includes my job, though I do miss dressing up every once in a while.] We parked aobut two blocks from the restaurant. There wasn't any snow or ice which made walking easy for me. I haven't developed snow/ice walking confidence like my native Eastern friends.

The restaurant is two stories tall with large glass windows and high celings. They lights are low but not so low you have to squint to see where you are. Soft lights. The tables are decorated with little christmas trees atop cream colored linen.

We mingled for a few minutes before planting ourselves at a table. Being the trend setters Stephanie and I are, we were mongst the first to sit. Soon everybody settled into their spot - the Enchiladas were grouped together with the other Founders, the admins sat with other admins. The dev and programmer geeks also surrounded themselves with like minds. It reminded me of high school cliques. There were exceptions, because there are a few people who don't really have departments to stick in. They mingled with other non-grouped people. At our table, we added Andy, his wife Jeanne (pictured below) and Heidi.


The menus at our place settings told us of our dining options - chicken with walnuts (ick), salmon with capers (also ick) or steak with some kind of fancy named mushroom. The latter was my choice. There weren't any appetizers, so the people who started drinking as soon as they got in the door were well on their way to a state of drunken bliss by the time the entree arrived. (A co-worker's story on that one later.) We did have thinly sliced bread with olive oil to soak up the early rounds of alcohol. One of my co-workers "Gladys" came up to me loudly whispering how drunk she was. We hadn't started dinner at that point yet.

They brought the food. We ate. Dan and Scott had begun drinking their Switchbacks. I had held off on the alcohol with the dream of an open bar. I did have a $5 soda. In the meantime, Heidi and I needed to practice our talent. After we ate we went upstairs to where the show was going to be and practiced out routine in the bathroom. During rehearsal, we made some significant changes on the routine. Boy, was I glad we practiced. Soon after, people began migrating upstairs. The space where we were to perform was shared by the karaoke DJ and wasn't really enough room. One of the perfomers had become the MC and informed us we were the first act (of 5). Though I protested, he insisted that was what we had to do. Heidi and I put on our costumes - black tshirts with red paint spelling DORKZ on the front. The MC announced us. It was time.

INTERIOR - STAGE AT ADRIANA'S
Heidi and Mrs. Han Solo enter the stage. They bow to the audinece, then to each other. The MC runs between us with the microphone. Heidi, who is holding a plastic bouncing ball throws the ball to MHS.

Heidi: Row

She passes the ball to MHS who catches it but says nothing. MHS throws the ball to Heidi.

Heidi: Row

She throws the ball again to MHS who catches but says nothing. MHS throws tha ball back to Heidi.
Heidi: Row
The ball passing continues.

MHS: Row
Ball pass.
Heidi: Your
Ball pass.

MHS:Row
(You get it, right? One word per catch. It's a round which is why I didn't say anything.) By the end of the song, Heidi finishes, but I am not done. When she doesn't catch the ball (because she has finished), I try to get her to catch it. She doesn't and I walk off the stage. End Scene. Isn't that one of the lamest wastes of time you have ever seen? THAT'S what made it so brilliant! There was no point!! Most everybody who could a) hear; b) see; c) see & hear didn't get it. I did have a couple of people tell me how great it was because they got it. It was hilarious (at least to Heidi and me.) The next act was a karaoke performed by some people who should be happy they have a day job that doesn't involve singing on a regular basis. I was irritated that they combined the karaoke with the talent show. There were a couple of other acts, though I think mine was one of the best. The prize for first place went to a manager who brought up one of the other manager's kids to do a trick. Lame trick, but kids always win. They got a 84gb-Ipod. They totally didn't deserve it. Come on, a kid? Please! (Not that I am bitter about it.) However, 2nd place (which should have been 1st) was Rob who recited movie haikus. THAT was talent. 3rd went to the aforementioned MC who played a song on his guitar. He was decent, but we felt he shouldn't have been eligible because he was the MC. Heidi raised such a stink that we got a consolation gift certificate for bring one of the only real performers, as they had mixed in a bunch of bad karaoke performances. There was also a chick who sang "Broadway Baby" (which I had sung years ago in a show with Sarah C.) and a guy who ran a mile home to get his guitar to perform. Sadly he wasn't miked well, and we couldn't hear him. 'A' for effort though.

Stay tuned for Part 3 - the antics...

3 comments:

Emi said...

Sounds like fun....awaiting Part III.

Stephanie said...

Yes, what happened to Part III?

Unknown said...

i'm so glad we got to see the encore performance the other night. i was ever so very sad when i missed out on it holiday party night. damn the lure of the downstairs bar.