July 16, 2005

Part 2 - The Reunion Saturday evening...

Saturday

I got ready for the reunion and Heather Thornton (Martinez) stopped by to give me a ride. We both looked splendid in our black dresses. We arrived at the Poinsettia Pavillion and I saw Rick, Liz's boyfriend and Matt, Dianne's husband at the side door. We managed to find our way around to the entrance and immediately saw familiar faces. Funny thing about the reunion. There were those faces of familiarity whose names I had forgotten. Others, who I didn't recognize at all. Heather went her way, and I met up with Liz, Michelle, Dianne, Kerry and Stephanie. We got nametags and found tables to dine at. We met up with so many old friends - Lori, Ron, Andrea, Cindy. Ron and his wife, Hannah, just had fraternal twins about two months ago. They weren't at the party, but were going to be at the picnic on Sunday. In order to figure out what table went first, we had to guess a few notes of a song the dj played. There are just too many people to name, now that I am writing this. It was good to see so many familiar faces, aged as they were. Funny thing with some of them, I couldn't remember their names but as soon as I saw them, I found I was sneering. Gutteral reaction to the past. These particular people, I remembered I couldn't stand to be around them in high school. But what did I care now? I realized I was sneering at them and wiped that off of my face. I don't know them. They don't know me. Who knows what has been going on in their lives over the past 20 years? I don't care, and they equally don't care either. I saw Greg H., who had dated my friend Doreen right after high school. They had a bad breakup (her very Jehovah Witness parents helped) and he met a gal who looked quite a bit like her. He eloped at the 5 year with her. (That's after telling me a couple of days before that he still thought about Doreen.) He is still married to the same woman and has three kids. They seem pretty happy together. I saw Bill A., who's house I toilet papered with Annette back in high school. Bill was on the basketball team and Annette had a big crush on him. I never did, but I thought he was a nice guy. A few years after high school, I had a strange dream that he was in. I was being attacked by dwarfs on the high school campus and he came running across the campus and threw, beat, pulled them off of me. It was weird. So, I was telling Kerry about it at the reunion and she bet me $20 to tell Bill. So I did. We had a good laugh over it. The food was fine, there was some dancing too. Mostly it was about catching up with old friends. Angie Y. was another person I was really glad to see. She is married with a son. Lives in LA. I got her info, and I look forward to writing to her. Lori G. was another one I was glad to see. We didn't have much time to talk, as there were so many people to talk with. I don't think I saw Heather for the rest of the night. OOOH - I did win an award for the "farthest travelled!!" Ha ha ha! People seemed so impressed that I would come all the way from Vermont. Towards the end of the evening, Matt F., who I have known since elementary school came up to me. He was a little drunk and confessed to me that he had always been in love with me. I didn't know what to say. I think I said, "That's really sweet, thanks." What else do I say? And why is it that drunk guys decide to tell me these things? Yes, it has happened before. That whole thing about inhibitions being down I guess is true. But nothing happens on my end because I don't think they are sure about what they are saying in that state of drunkennsess. Still, it was a nice compliment. He quickly ran off and boogied on the dance floor. I went back to catching up with people and I think we left around 11. Picnic Sunday....

No comments: