July 27, 2005

More music references and a flash from the past...

I have been listening to tunes while I work. There are two songs from the musical, Wicked, that are speaking to me. Not speaking to me as I hear voices, but that I can identify with the songs.

Popular and What is This Feeling? For those of you who know me well, will understand why Popular is so appropriate for me. The other one, well let's say I just get it.

Now, on with another subject - "Thelma" (not her real name). I had a friend in junior high school who was one of my best friends along with Kerry and Liz. She and I were just about inseparable. We ended up going to rival high schools. Her parents were really deep Jehovah Witnesses. They always hated us hanging out (especially when I had a car) because they felt I was an evil influence on her. Just for the record, though I was a fairly religious (Non-denominational Christian) teenager, I was far from evil. I didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, cavort with unseemly characters. I was a pretty good kid and pretty responsible. Anyhoo, her parents had their issues with us (or any non JW friend for that matter.) Right after high school, I went to community college with her. "Thelma" briefly dated my high school friend Greg. Religion pretty much broke them up. (Funny enough, she was a big influence on getting Greg OUT of Scientology!) During college we remained friends. (I was still evil, remember this....) After college - still friends. I moved to Blix St in NoHo with Steve S. and Carolyn. During this time, I was working at a tv studio as a page. "Thelma" came down one weekend for a visit. I invited her to a party with other tv people and she met my friend "Paul". They hit it right off. Unbeknownst to me, they even saw each other the next day. This relationship grew very quickly. They had sex - she got pregnant. She was so stressed out by her parents (who didn't know that a) she was dating and b) was pregnant) that she has a miscarriage. Yet, "Thelma" continued to date "Paul. She and Paul got pregant again within a few months. I remember one time when we were leaving the house and she (pregnant) was stopped by her mother, who had met "Paul" a couple of times. "Good thing you aren't serious about him. IMAGINE how UGLY your children would be!" Nice, isn't it? It's things like that that you don't forget from people. She finally told her parents that not only was she dating him, but she was pregnant. I was working at a hotel at that time in the San Fernando Valley. I got a call from her father and later her brother telling me that it was my fault that she was pregant. It was my fault that "Paul" RAPED her. My fault she was going to hell. My fault, my fault, my fault. No matter what I said back to them, they blamed me. Her parents were ready to disown her, kick her out. My mom let "Thelma" stay at our house when the arguments got bad. We even bought her a bunch of baby things, helped her out as much as we could. Finally, she moved out of her parents house. She and "Paul" had the baby, a girl. It was somewhere around this time that she called me and ended our friendship. Though she didn't blame me in so many words, for her situation, she did tell me that she hated me and my help. Didn't want anything to do with me and didn't ever want to hear from me again. It was very hurtful and took quite a long time to get over. She and "Paul" split up and a nasty custody battle ensued, though I never learned what happened. Even "Paul"'s friend blamed me for introducing them. It was a bad scene.

Fast forward - 10+ years.... I just got a message from Classmates.com from "Thelma". She appologized for treating me so horribly and asked for my forgiveness. It was a short note, because she felt there was no reason or way I could forgive her for what she did and said to me. Though I have been really busy with Client D, I am really happy she wrote me. I will write her back very soon. I don't have any anger anymore about what happened. (I do think her parents are evil people, but that's not for me to worry about.) I think about when Elissa and I went to the food festival and the psychic said "She will be back." I had NO idea what she was talking about. Maybe she was talking about "Thelma". Who knows? Kinda neat though.

No comments: