July 17, 2005

Back to work, the head banging weekend

The last two weeks have seemed so long. It took me a few days to get back into the swing of things after my crazy, fast-paced reunion weekend. I have been working on getting Client D's stuff done. Two weeks ago, I had a couple of social outings. I went with Wick and Meg to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (me - for the second time.) I enjoyed it as much the second time as the first. I also went out with the Gregs, Tara and a few other people to hear live Flamenco music at Roque's Mexican Restaurant (you might recall I went there with Ryan and Mike D. about a month ago.) We were out on the patio enjoying ourselves and the music when all of a sudden... I fell over backwards in my chair. It was like a bad slow motion movie. I could feel the legs buckle on the cheap, plastic chair. I tried to correct myself, but it was too late. SLAM - butt, back then... THWACK went my head on the nice, SOLID brick patio floor. I lay there slightly dazed. Through my mind I was assessing the situation. Did I black out? No. Did I know who I was and what had happened? Yes. Did I feel any pain? My head. Did I feel any liquid oozing out of my skull? No. I rolled over on my side, while my co-workers rushed to my aid. Can I get you anything? Are you okay? The music had stopped and I knew everybody on the patio was staring at me. I think I said something to Tara about "Just get the music playing again," while she assisted in getting me over to a bench. I got ice from one of my co-workers which I immediately put on my swelling head. The bump grew to the size of a half-softball shape. It was throbbing. Tara and group suggested firmly that I go to the emergency room to get checked out. THANK HEAVEN FOR INSURANCE. So, Tara drove me in my car to the ER.

After cutting through illegally to the ER, we ended up in triage. It doesn't look anything like the tv show, ER. There were about a dozen people there. Greg K. came to check on me and waited with us. After being assessed by an ER person, I was finally taken into be checked by a doctor. The attending doctor was new to the very new ER wing, though as she told us, had been at the hospital for years. She checked out my ears and eyes. Did a bunch of motor tests and I passed with flying colors. Greg and Tara were so kind to stick around and stay through the whole thing with me. We had some good laughs inspite of the rather large bump on the back of my head. Tara drove me to my house and Greg took her to her's. All ended well. The weekend came and went and I had aches and a headache for a couple of days. As it stands now, there is still pain, but only if I touch it (so don't!) Very exciting. The thing that bugged me about the restaurant was that none of the servers or staff came over to check on me even after I left. I thought that was sucky. I finally called the restaurant manager last Saturday to tell him I wasn't going to sue, but he really needs to get his staff to be more caring about the patrons. He said he talked to them and I would get a free meal (I think my whole table should get the free meal.) But it's over and I am okay.

No comments: