June 28, 2005

Switchfoot in concert....



Carrie and I went to see Switchfoot last night. The venue, Higher Ground, is a movie theater they gutted out and turned into a concert area. It almost looks like a school auditorium with the exception of two bars - one is slightly elevated and in the back of the place behind the sound and light board. There was a row of high seated chairs that were already filled when we entered at about 7:30. The concert was suppose to start at 8pm. There were two opening bands. One was from San Diego (where Switchfoot is also from) and the other from Florida. The San Diego band boys were cute (surfer boys, of course) and were better than the Florida band. I bet Carrie to go over and talk to the San Diego band after their set, and she did. So, I felt I should go as well upon her return. Being from Souther California, there is a certain bond we folk have. When I was out and about shopping the other weekend, I met a lady who saw my CA car. We instantly struck up a conversation about the weather here and there, as well as locations, how we feel about Vermont, etc. So with the San Diego band dudes, I signed up for more info and said, "Where abouts San Diego are you from?" The drummer said,"Encinitas." I say, "Oh, yeah. I know where that is..." He says (suprised look on his face), "You do?" I say," Yeah. I'm an LA girl myself." "Where?" "Near Burbank." He asked me if I had been here long and how much he liked Vermont. We chatted for a few minutes before we were interrupted by another band mate. So sad. Too bad. By this time, the second band was playing. Then Switchfoot. They were so much fun. And they sounded like they do on their CDs, which I always find refreshing. No, they weren't lip-synching. They bounced all over the stage and almost walked into the crowd. The lead singer, Jon Foreman, climbed on top of one of the drums and sang from way up. The drummer was on a high platform in the back-center of the stage. Jon lept to the stage floor and landed on his feet. It was a cool band dude stunt. They played for over an hour and a half.

Carrie had driven us to the show and I asked her to drive me to my house, though my car was at work. I thought I would walk to work Tuesday. Well, we get to the house and I can't find my keys. She took me back to her house where she got her work keys, then took me back to the office, where we let ourselves in. I found the keys at my desk. Whew! Though I still don't have a freakin' clue where my CDL is, I was able to drive home safely without it. Whew!

Good show. Good times.

BB King is playing there in a few months. I would like to see him. I think that would be a good show. We shall see. One show at a time. I still have Spamalot ahead of me...

No comments: