April 14, 2006

One for my baby (that's me) laments with edits

I really have only one thing to say...

It’s quarter to three (well, just after 2),
There’s no one in the place ’cept you and me (well, just me really)
So set ’em’ up joe (valium? vodka? I'd take anything about now)
I got a little story
I think you oughtta know

We’re drinking my friend (if only it weren't a work night!)
To the end of a brief episode (it ain't brief enough)
So make it one for my baby (I guess that's really just for me. Two fisted drinker that I am)
And one more for the road

I know the routine (gotta lock up, turn off the coffee pots)
Put another nickel
in that there machine (that would be gas in the car?)
I’m feeling so bad (ain't that the truth, brother!)
Won’t you make the music easy and sad (I love sad music when I am tired and angry)
I could tell you a lot (but I ain't got the time with this damn Client Flintstone!)
But you gotta to be true to your code (is that like being true to your school?)
So make it one for my baby
And one more for the road

You’d never know it
But buddy I’m a kind of poet (sing it out, Frankie. Sing it out.)
And I’ve got a lot of things I wanna say
And if I’m gloomy, please listen to me (or else I will go postal)
Till it’s all, all talked away

Well, that’s how it goes
And joe I know you’re gettin’ anxious to close (hmm, I thought about staying up to watch the sunrise. After all, it's only in 4 hours)
So thanks for the cheer (We did have pizza for dinner and lots of help from my co-workers)
I hope you didn’t mind
My bending your ear
But this torch that I found
It’s gotta be drowned
Or it soon might explode (I am beginning to have a mental breakdown)
So make it one for my baby
And one more for the road (don't drink and drive, Frank. That'd be an asshole thing to do.)

(Writer(s): johnny mercer/harold arlen)

No comments: