October 24, 2004

OOooh! It's Amish... no wait, they are Menonites





I am tired of driving. At least with being in Cleveland, I am almost done with the trip. I only have a few hundred miles to go. I think about 500. I can do that in a day.

I arrived here in Cleveland at about 11:30 on Monday night. I have to say that I miss the organization and communication of Nebraska and Iowa. Plus, on the way to Cleveland, there are so many toll roads! What's with that? I am sick and tired of toll roads. I am saving all the reciepts even the ones that are a measly 40 cents. I plan on a big tax write off at the end of the year. I am even saving the Hardees reciepts. Hey, did you guys know that Hardee's and Carl's Jr. are the same place? I was at one and saw the star. The menu was almost exactly the same too. They did have a ham and cheese sandwich added on the menu which I don't think they have in Los Angeles. This is also where I saw the Memonites. There were three or four women and two men wearing garb that was similar to Amish. I have been told that they couldn't be Amish and were probably Menonites because Amish don't drive. The people entered a minivan and were eating Hardee's food. What has the world come to where the Menonite are indulging in fast food? It is a really sad state of affairs.

So, the road with all of it's toll booths and and rest stops was also uneventful. The weather has been extremely kind and clear all the way through. I think there was some rain back in Colorado, but it really has been amazing at how temperate the weather has been. I am so thankful.

I am staying with my friend Helen and her husband Michael and kids (Joe, Patrick and Mikey.) They live in a 'burb called North Olmsted. It is west of Cleveland. I was here in May for about a week. I love it here. The kids are so much fun to be with. Helen and I met in college. I would like to come back and visit soon.

In the mornings, Helen takes Joe (age 5) to school with Mikey (9 months) and I hang out with Patrick (age 4). We have played "Red Light, Green Light" and "Simon Says." It is hilarious playing games with Patrick because he dances to his own drum. He has a hard time getting the rules of a game down, so anything goes. Joe is all about following rules. He likes telling us when we aren't following the rules. Here is something really funny about Joe. Patrick and Joe and I were playing catch in the back yard (it's HUGE by the way) and Joe was commenting on how bad my throwing ability is. I said it's because I don't practice and I throw like a girl (I know, great to reinforce stereotypes. I am probably turning Joe into a male chauvanistic pig in 25 years.) Anyhow, he told me that I need to get a boyfriend or husband to show me how to do it right. I told him that I didn't have one and that he needs to get working on finding me one. He agreed to help though he commented that it would be hard since I am in Vermont and he is in Ohio. Still, he was willing to help out. I will keep you posted on his search.

The kids keep us hopping. It's a never ending job. I always appreciate the job that parents like Helen and Mike do. It is lots of work, that's for sure. These kids are really great. They all have such different personalities. I would write more, but it is dinner time. Michael is making a chicken thingy which smells delicious. I have to go play RLGL with Joe now.

Tomorrow I am leaving for New York. Not sure if I am stopping in Buffalo or Albany. We will see wherethe adventure takes us.

No comments: