October 14, 2004

Moving is Hell...

So yesterday, I didn't sleep in because the electrician was coming to fix the heater which has been broken for months. Yes, nothing like the last minute to get things done. Anyhow, he was at the apartment by 7:45 am. I began packing. Boy do I have lots of crap. It reminds me of a story about my friend's Aunt Gloria....

Gloria lived in a bit of a slum apartment. She was a heavy smoker and a pack rat. When she died, her nieces were responsible for sorting through the piles of things. The carpet had about 3 inches of dirt. The walls, curtains and window shades were yellow as a result of her multi-pack smoking habit. She had cans of unopened sugar and flour. She had boxes that contained unopened presents. Overall, it was a nightmare (much like my own apartment but without the smoke and 3 inches of dirt on the orange shag.) The best thing she left was about 300 records, mostly 45s. Elvis, the Beach Boys and the Beatles still in their original covers - mint condition. True, I may not be quite as bad off as ol' Gloria, but it reminds me of how much stuff I do have.

Today I had my friend Gail come over and help me help myself get rid of some of the junk. I also have the Salvation Army arriving on Monday to take a load of furniture away. Hallelujah! I have so much packing left. I am borrowing my neighbor's internet, so I have to go. Time's up. More on this exciting part of my adventure tomorrow.

I have managed to find some hearty prizes for the raffle I am having at my farewell party Sunday. Stay tuned. Pictures will come soon...

Peace out.


No comments: