November 30, 2006

Write a novel in November - the challenge

I bet most of you didn't know it was National Novel Writing Month for November, did you? Well, my friend Stephanie told me about it and I was up for the challenge. Turns out, my boss was doing it too. It is now the last day in November. And how did we do?

Boss - completed 50,000 words by Monday
Stephanie - almost there too. I am sure she will finish it tonight.
Me - 14,590.

My challenge - ADD, discipline, evil TV, Thanksgiving and working more than normal at the g-store. There were times when I was really bumming out. Times when I would challenge myself about being a writer. Things like,"If you were serious about writing, you wouldn't have let anything come in between you and getting that done." or "Obviously you can't do it. You didn't even reach a halfway mark! What a joke!" That's when Evil Kdar was speaking. Then Sporty Girl kicked in. "Look, you said you gave it a go, and you did. If you hadn't tried that, you would be where you were at last month - writing NOTHING. You can finish this. Give it until the end of December." So, that's my goal. End of December I will reach the 50, 000 word goal. There are a couple of people who have expressed interest in reading it. I may let them. It's a really lame story, but that was my plan all along. It was not my intention to write something really good. Just write. Let the words flow.

I am proud of the 14,000 + I DID write. Good for me! Pat myself on the back. I think I will do it next year too. That was a great challenge.

No comments: