August 10, 2008

Car withdrawl and how Sunset Blvd. inspired me

I am going through car withdrawl. The inconvience of not having a car is affecting my social life. Being dependent on public transportation and the kindness of friends is wearing on me. I am getting progressively aggrevated at one friend in particular who I have given rides to, bought tanks of gas for in the past who never offers to give me a ride though we have many of the same social things happening and the events are not that far away from where I live (but too far to walk to). And when I do ask for a ride, the reaction is one of disdain or that I am bothering him. I am thankful for my carpool buddy and that the bus picks up close to my house. However, I can't just pop into my car to go hang out with a friend, go to the movies, shopping, laundry. That all needs to be planned out now. I could go to a car dealership and get some crappy car to put an end to my pathetic misery, but the stronger person in me says "NO!" I am still trying to hold out for another month or two we shall see.

Last night, I went over to my friend Catherine's house for dinner with a few friends. Megan, from my writing group was there. She asked how things were going and I expressed my lament about not having a car. I told her that I am thinking that part of my lesson in this is that as inconvenient as it is to not have a car and hampers my social life, I should use the time to write. Maybe that's what God is telling me. WRITE, MRS. HAN SOLO. WRITE.

Then I watched Sunset Blvd. Director Billy Wilder wrote this film which came out in 1950, starring William Holden and Gloria Swanson. It's a great film and very well written. In watching it, there is a scene near the beginnigng that was so appropriate to where I am at with the car. William Holden is in fear of losing his car. He asks his agent for money to prevent it from being reposessed.




Joe Gillis: ... If I lose my car it's like having my legs cut off.
Agent: It's the greatest thing that could happen to you. Now you'll have to sit behind a typewriter. Now you'll have to write.

Wow. If that's not a sign...

So though I am writing on this blog, let's say that I am more inspired to get into my writing. It will be a much better use of my time instead of moaning and whining about the lack of car and blaming certain friends for not having the forethought to offer rides.

No comments: