August 11, 2008

The AMAZING Summer Olympics - 2008


PHOTO COURTESY
OF GETTY IMAGES (pictured Lezak, center, and Bernard, right)

It's summertime and this year amongst the dreary, rainy weather there is a big spot of sunshine - the 2008 Summer Olympics. If you are banning the Olympics or you just hate sports, that's fine. But for me, the summer Olympics brings me hours and hours of sheer joy.

This year is no exception. My most favorite events are the ones with gymnastics and swimming. But mostly swimming. Though the women's team is amazing, I am partial to the men's team. (I had a crush on Mark Spitz at age 5.) Now lots of people are obsessed with the extremely talented Michael Phelps, who, by the age of 23 has (as of this writing) won 9 medal. That is impressive and he is amazing. But last night's 400-meter relay was the most exciting sporting event I think I have seen in years! You can read all about the events HERE.

But here's my view of the events of last night...

One of the French had bashed the USA relay team, but that did not scare Team USA, no sirrrreeee. When Michael Phelps took off for the first 100 meters, I figured USA had a chance against the favored French.
He managed to assist in surpassing the world record for that event. After Phelps came Garrett Weber-Gale then Cullen Jones. Cullen was I would say a whole body length away from the French, who were in first. Then Jason Lezak jumped in. He cinched up the space between Bernard the Frenchman who had dissed Team USA. Then, as I was on the edge of my seat, I watched Lezak catch up. They were neck and neck. It was intense! Lezak touched the wall 9/100 of a second before Bernard. Not only did Team USA beat the French, and set a new world record, but to win by that kind of a margin was AMAZING. When they realized they had won, I saw a few had tears. I have to admit, I did have moist eyes. USA has done extremely well in swimming, it makes me proud. Even my crushee, Aaron Peirsol, just won a gold. Sigh.

So here's to the men and women of these 2008 Olympics. They are talented, courageous and amazing. I think it's a wonderful forum for people of all nations to come together in what is (for the most part, most of the time in my Pollyanna kind of belief) a world-wide event that unites people of all races. Deep down inside, Sporty Girl is watching these events desiring to jump in the pool.

No comments: