December 09, 2005

Houston Part 3 - The rest of the week

I realize you probably don't even care now about Thanksgiving and Houston but here ya go.

Highlights for the rest of the week -

  • I worked for 20 minutes
  • Karaoke with Sarah and her friends
  • We got the dog (Tucker)
  • Went to a real Hispanic grocery store and made burritos
  • Shopped at the 99cent store (There aren't any here in Vermont)
  • Thanksgiving part 2 (more cooking, more eating - deep fried turkey - yum)
  • NASA!!!! Johnson Space Center - That was pretty cool. We saw a little show on what the astronauts routine is in the space shuttle, an IMAX on being an astronaut, some space suits and had a tour of the Space Center. One of the funniest moments was when we were ushered into Mission Control. That's right - THE Mission Control. We came into a room with theater-style seats that all had ash trays attached to the backs. In front of us, behind glass was the center of operations where they had rows of old computers and big screens at the front of the room where they could monitor a mission from launch to landing. The gal who was giving the history schpeel was talking about the various missions that were launched from that room as well as rattling off some of the various dignitaries who sat where we were sitting. Ambassador Such-in-so, Prince what's-his-name, etc. The best one was when she said (very importantly), "Queen Elizabeth the First also sat here. That's right. The first queen of England." I was so amazed. Who knew that in that very room the daughter of Henry VIII graced the very place I was sitting in? I didn't think she made it to the Americas, but what do I know? All in all, I was glad to have checked out the space center. I will post pictures. Really I will.

No comments: