December 15, 2005

Grocery store life

So I have completed my first weekish at the grocery store. I thought it went pretty well. I am not use to being on my feet in a stationary position for multiple hours, but I survived. I had a good time hanging out with the kids, and I mean kids. On Saturday night, I was the oldest one working there. In fact, I was old enough to be everybody's mother if you count all of the people working on the floor. Okay, late-teen mother, but still... Some of the people have been there for years, which has been nice and helpful for my training. The store is pretty big, even for CA standards. It is the biggest G store in the state of that store family. Life at the G store is filled with interesting co-workers and customers. There are a couple of chicks there who are pretty cool and I have been having a great time working with them. As I just gave them my blog, I have to come up with names for them to protect their identities. ha ha ha.

Working with customers face to face is refreshing. At my day job, I have interaction over the phone, and with co-workers. At night, there are all kinds of people at the Gstore. I think it will make for good material. There is the typical mom with the unruly kid(s). The Couple who have separate accounts but shop together all the time. The Old Married Couple who bicker over items in the cart or prices. The Family Gatherings - they bring ma, pa, kids, grandpa to shop EVERY TIME. There is also the College Dudes - beer, beer, beer. The Single Girl/Guy who buys the same thing every week. Grandpa/Grandma who can't afford that extra thing they thought they could. Then there are the welfare/food stamp recipients. They also have their range of people - the mom with a plethora of kids, the single guy/gal who wishes they could buy their alcohol and cigs on their food stamp card. The seniors who can't seem to work the punch pad (which doesn't work half the time anyhow.) It's a place chock-full of material. I haven't even begun to really dig into the employees. I still need some time to evaluate that. However, there are deffinately characters. The ones that stick out the most in my mind are the teenagers and early 20 year olds who think they are da bomb and have little to no respect for adults. But there are some teens/early 20 somethings who are really cool and amazingly mature for their ages. It has been a pleasure getting to know them.

I am tired and exhausted, but having a good time. Now if I can just get some better leg support...

No comments: