December 09, 2005

Grocery store - who knew how exciting it could be!

This week I started a part time job working at a grocery store. I am doing it for several reasons.
  • Meet people
  • Keep me busy at night, something to do
  • Make some extra $

One of my co-workers at Company X was working there and suggested that I give it a go. So I signed up, had an orientation and - WHAM! I am a checker/bagger. Never worked in a grocery store in my life. It's fun, though it is still the first week. I use muscles I usually don't use. Bagging is an art. I know how to back by type. I know not to put the eggs underneath the potatoes and put the fresh cut of steak in it's own bag (leaks). I know to ask if plastic is okay over paper (the paper bags are cheap and stick together.) I just don't have the fast paced bagging skill yet. I am also still going through training, so I don't actually check people out yet. I did have the opportunity to clean the employee lounge and restock items.

They are totally okay with my schedule, which is nice. If that job becomes a problem with my main job, I will quit. But so far, I really like to have something to do after work. And why not make money doing it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Han Solo,
You are an amazing writer. I haven't been this rivoted by a blog since _I_ was keeping one. Haha... Anyway, I look forward to seeing how your new job unfolds. And I'll help you with your bagging speed, Ha! It's good to have someone with so much character around to keep the place interesting ;)

Stephanie said...

Congrats on your new job, Kaye!