December 26, 2006

ADD Two stories

ADD - Attention Defficit Disorder - My mom has it. Though I haven't been officially tested, I know I have it. So does one of my co-workers at the g-store and one at Company X. It is a very frustrating thing to deal with and observe. Here are a few stories to read or take this test.

1. ADHD Joe
Joe is a 20 year old who I work with at the g-store. He has a troubled past - been in jail, parents dead and drinks too much. He also has ADHD. When he was a kid, he was on just about every ADHD medication, probably to the point of overmedicating. As a result, he decided to do away with all meds, not get any non-med help and drinks. He is moody and swings way out of control. He is great with little kids that come through checkout and with customers. However, with co-workers he is extremely moody and prone to snap. He won't do the simplist chores without groaning and complaining or just plain refusing to do them. He wanders off for many minutes at a time (unless he is trapped on a register.) I was supervising him the other night and he took off. No idea where he was. He wouldn't answer his page. He said he was 'helping' another co-worker who was cleaning the bathrooms. She denied it. Said he was just following her around. Needless to say, it was extrememly frustrating working with him. He and I have had some good moments together, but even if I am not supervising him, just watching his bad behavior go on and on and ON is more than I can bear. Nobody corrects him. He's been talked to, apparently, but it doesn't seem to stick (I think that is the selective forgetting part of his ADHD.) If I continue being scheduled on his shift, I will quite. THAT'S how bad it is for me. Though the G-store isn't a career for me (or for him) I think it is important do do what you need to do to help out the team, get the crap done that needs to get done.

Company X - ADD moments
A co-worker at Company X has ADD, though he hasn't been tested. The reason I know this is because I see similar traits that G-Store Joe has as well as myself. GUY (Not his real name) is easily distracted, and I mean EASILY. Thankfully Guy doesn't have the anger outbursts that G-Store Joe has, but Guy gets depressed easily. He's very forgetful and gets frustrated easily. Has a hard time sticking with things that are boring to him. Wanders around for long periods of time. Has a hard time managing time - comes into work late, so works late out of guilt (sounds like me). Locks on a target and has a hard time getting off at times. We use Instant Messaging at work and Guy gets sooooo distracted chatting with his friends (who are in another department). I understand this because I have some moments like that. But I don't think I do it nearly as much. I see Guy is really frustrated with this issue and wants to get some help, which would be great. I too, am going to get tested in the new year and see what I can do to make it better. It's sad. I want to help, but I can't. But I think when I learn how do deal with my own ADD, that will make things easier in dealing with Guy and seeing Guy's frustration.

No comments: