November 21, 2005

Launching Client Dutch, Harry Potter, Houston Part 1

Friday - It was a really busy day. There were moments when we thought we might not launch Client Dutch, but we did. Whew! I have another large client to work on when I get back from vacation, and I will also have to wrap up some things with Client Dutch.

After work (and I actually got out on time for once!) I went home and got my stuff for Houston. Elissa drove me to her house where we dropped off my stuff and picked up Rocky to go see "Harry Potter - and the Goblet of Fire", which is the 4th of the Harry Potter series. I really enjoyed the movie, though they cut out a bunch of stuff that I think should have been in the movie. However, considering the movie was already over 2.5 hours, I understand paring it down for time. I hope the kids and other regular cast members make the fifth book into a movie. It's one of the rare times when a series of books make good movies. Much like James Bond and the Tom Clancy books.

After the movie, I went back to Elissa's for a brief night sleep before heading off to Houston.

SATURDAY - At the butt crack of dawn in 28 degree weather, Elissa dropped me off at the Burlington Airport for my flight to Houston. I grabbed a poppyseed muffin and juice. The hour long ride to Newark was uneventful. I had about a 45-60 minute wait before my flight to Houston. I read and people watched. The ride to Houston was pretty good. I sat in one of the exit rows, which allowed for lots of great leg room, for which I was really thankful. I sat next to a woman and her husband on their way to the Carribean. She did some sort of paralegal stuff. They showed "Batman Begins" on the flight out. I watched it a bit but mostly read. I just don't get Katie Holmes. I think she is a so-so talented actress, who is marrying her childhood person of her affection or should I say obsession. It's no coincidence in my mind that she and Tom became engaged the same month their movies opened. I am not suprised that she is also expecting their child. Hmmm. Anyhoo, I love Christian Bale and enjoyed watching the movie.

I landed at the airport in Houston and called Sarah for a pick up. It was great seeing her. I don't think I have seen her since she got married TWO years ago. She looks about the same. We came back to her new house (just moved in here about two months ago) in a new housing development. It is a gorgeous house. HUGE too. Brett was off hunting, so I didn't see him until the evening. Her mom, Rose lives here too. They have a nice sized back yard, 4 bathrooms, launcry room, two car garage, office, and 4 bedrooms! As we were hanging about, her mother-in-law, Sue, and Brett's step father, Barton arrived. They had a horse in a race at the Sam Houston Race Track which was only about 5 minutes from Sarah's house.

We piled into the car and went to the race track to see Angel of War compete. I bet $3 on her to place. She started out of the gate wayyyyy too fast, though she kept a steady lead for 3/4 of the race. Then I think she got tired out. She places 2nd to last, I believe. Still, it was a really fun time and I am so glad that Sue invited us to go.

It was a really nice way to start my vacation.

No comments: