June 24, 2008

More about work...

Boy, oh boy! Company X has been a busy little place in the last 6 months.


  • We have a gym and cafe (yes, I mentioned this before, but it's pretty impressive if you think about it)

  • Several people got promotions which really surprised me, some deserved it, several didn't

  • Several new hires in my department which means work should get easier

  • Two guys just had babies this week (not together, and it was their wives actually who did the birthing) and two more are due this year (that we know of so far)

  • Three couples got engaged, one more married

  • Company X landed some big deals

  • I had my review and am still employed

I am still in the same place, doing the same thing like I did last year. Like I did the year before that and the year before that. Not exciting at all. No babies, no promotions, no big clients (or deals). In fact, today (as I think I am a little PMS-y) I am in a really bad mood when it comes to things work related. I am really happy about most of the aforementioned things. But I have issues. I am not really liking me a whole lot right now, especially where work is concerned. I wonder if this place is the place for me. CA is waaaay too expensive (and damn hot). But is B-town the right place? With the economy sucking as much as it does, I am really glad to have a job. I do like my job and the people I work with, most of the time. I think that I will forever be tainted because of the problems I had two years ago and last year with the big clients I worked on. I don't know how I can get people (and myself really) to look past that crap and see that I am a capable and intelligent person who can be more than what my job says. Will I ever have a chance to evolve in my job? I believe Company X prefers the pro-active approach to everything. If you want to do something or get something done here, do it. Then sit back and see where the chips fall. They might fall in a good place, who knows? I have seen several people create their own jobs at this company. Maybe that's what I need to do.

Next time, "All About My Mother" and the May trip to California.

No comments: