September 29, 2006

July - fireworks, swimming and sailing

So June was gone and I found myself in the middle of summer. It rained a whole heck of alot in June, which really sucked. But it was then time to celebrate our nation's birthday - the 4th of July (in case anybody was wondering what the date was.) What to do, what to do? The nation's birthday bash was pretty darn good here in little ol' Burlington. I met up with Stephanie and a few of her friends down by the waterfront and marina in Burlington. The pictures I took don't even remotely represent the fireworks show I saw, so there's really no point in posting them. But I did find one taken by Adam Huff (thanks Adam!) I think it was one of the best fireworks shows I have ever seen. It was awesome. I can't even describe it well enough. THAT'S how good I thought it was. So you will just have to read my mind. I do have to day that they did have a few of the drippy, weeping willow-like ones I love to see. After the fireworks display, we walked over to Church St. and had a few drinks at the Church St. Tavern. It was a great time. A splendid way to wish America happy birthday.

In order to spiff up my summer, I started going to the gym again and signed up for a couple of classes. I began a water aerobics class. It is three days a week at 6:15 in the morning. The class is filled with mostly senior ladies. They are a hoot! The music ranges from Broadway tunes to the Beatles, Beach Boys and disco (mostly Beach Boys). Sue, one of the instructors, is particularly fond of the Beach Boys tunes. She will sing along while either instructing us or as one of the students. They are all very nice and seem to know each other pretty well. We have a good time together. I am one of the youngest in the class. Almost all of us are a little lumpy in the physical sense, but getting out and moving feels great. I would like to try to step it up a bit and start doing laps again. I may sign myself up for a personal trainer coach. THAT would be spectacular! I really miss not training. I really enjoyed that training for the triathlon. I have just been such a couch potato and uninspired. Working too many hours brought me to an epiphany - I need to sail.

My sailing class was a quick decision. I decided to take the class because things had finished up with Client Flintstone and I didn't want to spend my whole summer wishing I had done something interesting. My dad has been sailing and my sister and her husband crew a boat. I had been on boats before, but never sailed. So, I found a 4-5 week class through the Y. It was one of the best things evah! We learned all about rigging a boat, rights of way, parts of the boat, how to read the wind and actually sailed. I LOVED it! It really made a difference in my attitude after the drudgery and anger I was feeling about the whole Client Flintstone thing. What a difference a little air, ocean and sunshine make. I understand why the guys at Company X who have boats have them. I loved it. I can't wait to try sailing again. Our department had an outstanding date from last year to go sailing on "Pops'" boat, which we were finally scheduled to do. But that (and pictures) are for another blog time.

Sailing rocks!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I think water aerobics sounds like a lot of fun...except for the Beach Boys. That might force me to go under. ;)

I had a dream last night that I saw you in the Portland, Oregon, airport with another friend.

Weird, huh?