November 16, 2008

Here's the latest - I have a car!!

It's been a long time since I have written anything (the last posting on the cat poll is an exception. So here I am. I have been having internet issues at home which have prevented me from writing as well. I paid my bill and the cables are all connected. Not sure why it isn't working. Sigh. Technology sometimes really sucks. So here I am at the laundromat typing away.

Lots has been going on. With just about 4 months under my belt without a car, I finally got one!!! It took me a long time agonizing over what kind. Do I get a used one like I always have? The Taurus was pretty good for me, with 10 years of life. But if a used, what kind? I want something with good gas mileage. But what? Do I get new? As I plan to have the car, whatever it is, for a long time, the resale value doesn't really matter, so new would be good. Plus with new, I can get warranties like there's no tomorrow.

I had been looking at the Toytoa Carolla (used), Toyota Matrix (used) and Kia Spectra (new). I finally decided to go with the new Kia Spectra. Though I am paying more than I wanted to pay a month, I got some good warranties on it and the likelihood of it shutting down on me in the first few years is very slim. The warranties cover 100,000 miles (it started with 12) and includes losing wheels, flats or other tire damage. I also got GAP protection if I am ever in an accident and still making payments. It's a good car. I can hold 4 other adults though I wouldn't suggest that for a long road trip. I kinda wish I had gotten something a little more sporty, but this is fine. It's a big change having a car payment and insurance now. I don't like that. I guess the only plan is to work on paying it off sooner so I don't have a car payment. :-)

It is so nice being able to go where I want to go, when I want to go. The freedom is something I feel privileged to have. I am lucky to be able to afford car payments, especially in this economic time. I am lucky to have the opportunity to choose what kind of car I want. I didn't mind riding the bus and carpooling. For the work week, it was fine. But on the weekend the bus schedule is shortened and having to depend on friends for rides was really depressing. Meeting up with friends wasn't spontaneous like I would have liked. It's all better now. I will send a picture shortly,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hurray for cars and their ability to make us happier people! :) okay, maybe that's not a great thing, but cars sure are. I'm glad that you finally made your decision and got that puppy (named it yet?) and I hope that someday soon you will use it to actually see me!!! :)