January 05, 2005

Tsunami and TV Reality Dads and cars that don't work...

The Tsunami disaster of last week is just overwhelming. Latest body count is over 150,000. That is the city of Glendale, CA being wiped out completely. I am glad to hear (inspite of whatever delays we, the US had) of so many countries and people working together to repair and support the people and land affected by this monsterous disaster. I saw a show the other night that talked about what happened in the ocean. It is the only show that talked about the disaster from the point of the ocean. The photography looked just as bad under the water as on top (minus the human count, of course.) The coral reefs, home to exotic ocean life are wiped out like a bomb exploded. The waterlife didn't seem to know where to go. Their homes have been destroyed as well. Flattened like pancakes. They showed a jellyfish that was still alive, but ripped almost completely in half. Creepy and sad. It will take the people and the land above the ocean years to recover, but it will take the ocean decades and centuries to recover. And there is little to nothing we can do about it. Nature is what it is. I am glad to hear survivor stories, but am getting annoyed hearing about the various conservative religious groups making statements about this being "God's wrath on the gays who party and vacation there...." and "God's wrath on the Muslim community..." It is ludicrous and painfully ignorant of people to make such sweeping statements.

Well, even with a huge disaster like the Tsunami, reality tv prevails. I spent the other night watching one of the worst reality shows ever produced - Who's Your Daddy? I think it was on Fox. A woman who was in her late 20s (looked like she was 45 with all of the plastic surgery she had) appeard on this reality show where a bunch of men, including her birth father, were on display for her to pick the real dad. She quickly eliminated them until she was left with her real dad and another dude at the end. It appeared that the show went over a period of 3 or 4 days. But reality tv isn't reality. I also assume she was coached if she was going in the wrong direction. Well, believe it or not, she chose the right real dad. There was a tearful reunion including his three daughters from his current and only marriage. There was also an appearance of the birth mother. I just don't understand why ($100,000 - perhaps?) anybody would go through a game to find their birth parent? I understand wanting to find your birth parent(s), but doing it in a nationally televised game? With all of these shows, the people are good looking to hot. The Average Joe had average to geek looking guys, but there was still the hot people element. What I haven't seen, is a show with fat chicks who triumph. Wouldn't the Bachelor be more interesting if there wer fat chicks on it? And what if he picked a fat chick?

Lastly for the moment, is my car. I was excited to see that there was snow again and went out to my car to warm it up. It didn't start. The radio turned on but there was no click-click sound when I tried to turn it over. I am hoping that it is just a cold weather thing. I gave Charlotte a key for Bob to check it out if he is home early today. I am also hooked up with a carpool person - Mark G. That I am so grateful for. So, even if the car needs repair, I have a way to get to work. Yippee!

Cars suck.

No comments: