January 10, 2005

No Fat French chicks, Montreal, Cats and what happened Brad?

FAT FRENCHIES
I was watching the Today show when Katie Couric was inverviewing a French woman who is the author of a new book called "French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating For Pleasure". Let me say that she (author Mirelle Guiliano) is brilliant. Not because she knows the secrets of being and staying thin and healthy. Nope. She is brilliant for writing a fat secrets book that I am sure will sell well, or at least well enough. She admits she isn't a dietician, nutritionist or doctor. She holds no degrees in any sort of health or medical field. But when she was a young woman, she moved from France to the USA and got fat. That's right. She came here and gained about 20 lbs. She went back to France about a year later and her father said that she was "looking like a sack of potatoes." Apparently in France that is a HUGE insult. Her parents hired a nutritionist and she lost the baggage thanks to being French, I guess. Now that she is in her late 50s-early 60s, she has written a book that explains how the French women manage to stay so healthy. Now, you don't need to buy the book because I will paraphrase it here for you.


  • Eat whatever you want. Don't deprive yourself. If you deprive yourself, you will only explode with the desire of the thing you want later.
  • Eat small portions. The French women don't finish everything on their plates, unlike women of the USA who apparently gorge themselves at every meal.
  • Don't excercise (though, as she says it will help, but French women aren't obsessed with excercise like they are in the USA.)
  • Drink LOTS of water
  • Eat leeks (they are diuretic)

No shit Sherlock.

MONTREAL

Elissa and I drove up to Montreal on Saturday. When we got to the border, the guard asked us what our plans were. I feel like next time I go, I should submit an itinerary. That would be funny, unless he thought I was being a smartass. Then it wouldn't be so funny if he didn't let me across the border. Anyhow, we told him we were going for the day and shopping. We got a little off the track in trying to find Ikea, but ended up eating lunch at a nice, Americanized restaurant. I was loving the French menu, French signs, kilometers all around me. One of the things that struck me was that in driving towards the city, we drove for kilometers through (notice I say kilometers, not miles!) farmland. Lots of farmland. Elissa suspects wheat or another grain product. I saw no cows, so I suspect she is right. We found Ikea, land of Swedish furniture. The parking lot was PACKED. We browsed through the entire store at a fairly slow pace. She was looking for furniture and I was just looking. I hoped to buy a CD rack, but am being very particular about what I want. We found a few things but mainly looked. She took pics to show her husband. After a couple of hours, we were done. I think between the two of us, we spent about $30 Canadian. She drove us back. When we got to the border, the guard was very inquisitive about our destination and asked what we did in Canada. We had contimplated lying to him, but knowing our luck, WE would have been the car that they did a suprise inspection on. And then we would have found ourselves fined or in jail. Not a good idea. The old expression,"Honesty is the best policy" was in our favor. We told him about our hefty Ikea purchases which were in the trunk. I thought he would have asked us to show him, but he didnt. Whew. He missed seeing the immigrants we were transporting. That was a lucky break for us! We had a good time. I think it was worth the drive up. I would really like to go to Montreal and check out the city. It's deffinately a weekend thing.

CATS

Sunday after church I went to a cat show at the Sheraton. My main purpose was to find out from these professional cat people about transporting felines via airplanes. Most of them didn't seem to do it, but made several good suggestions. I would like to say that Persian and Himalayans are in season. There were LOTS of them as well as Abyssianian and those other Egyptian cats that look weird. They look a little like the Balinese. Ick. Maus look really cute. They also look like Ocicats. Anyhooo, I was there for about an hourish. My favorite cats are the red domestic. Of course I love my Smudge and Steve kitties. Don't get me wrong. But every red/orange cat I have met has been wonderful too. There were two at the show. I learned a couple of things regarding the airplane rides for my kitties. I have a bunch of inquiries to make, but I think it will work out. Maybe I will be able to get them in April. That seems so far away, but I might be able to get them sooner. We shall see.

BRAD AND JEN

After four years, Brad and Jen have called it quits. WHY? Did one of them have an affair? Did they argue over Brad wanting kids and Jen didn't? Did one of them decide they were gay? On one hand I am crushed because we won't be able to see them at Casa Vega anymore. On the other hand, I celebrate because Brad will soon be available. He can rebound with me. Maybe Jen was too high maintenance? Last interview I heard Brad talking about being home with the wifey and having kids. Hmmm. I would love to tell him that he should go for a more earthy girl. Somebody like... me. I am low maintenance. I like to cook and write. I have a great sense of humor. So, if any of you have the inside into contacting Brad, please let him know that he should take some time off from his big film career and spend it relaxing in Vermont with me. Poor Brad. I really thought they would be one of those Hollywood couples who would last. He really should look outside the acting business for his next wife. Did I mention I am available? I would be secure in his acting choices and who he makes movies with. Brad, Brad, Brad.


No comments: