January 13, 2005

Ice, kindness, more on the North Pole

Last night as I was walking out of the office, it was very slippery. I was creeping along for fear of falling (I have always had bad balance.) A woman from the building passed me by. By the time I was at the edge of the sidewalk facing the parking lot, she was already in her car. She drove up to me and offered me a ride to my car even though it was only 12 feet away. I felt silly, but she insisted. Very kind of her. Getting out of the car at my apartment was a long task as well. I can handle the rain and snow, but I just don't dig the ice thing. Makes me freaky.

As you know, I have an addiction to tv. I was watching my glorious Wednesday night line up with Alias and Smallville. But I also had the opportunity to catch a bit of Nanny 911 and Wife Swapping (the two week switch). With Nanny 911, it was great to see the break throughs the parents had about their children and themselves. Really heartwarming was also Wife Swap. This one was a little different than the others. A single mom with three daughters traded with a couple with two kids. The couple was a little uptight and constantly scheduled and cleaned, whereas the single mom felt life was meant to be lived and allowed her kids to have little to know rules. They would swear at the mom and do whatever they wanted, where the mom would work long hours at a diner and clean (sort of) the house. Kids did nothing. Well, both families changed for the better (of course. Afterall, it IS tv!) Still, it was nice to see both families improving and learning from each other. Some of these shows end with a big, dramatic showdown.

To find out more about the North Pole slipping and the world becoming flatter on top and rounder in the middle (to explode like a watermelon in about a million years, I am sure) go to
http://search.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2005/jan/HQ_05011_earthquake.html I thought it was a pretty good source for information.

No comments: